help with trick

All beginners in magic should address their questions here.

Postby Guest » 08/27/07 04:42 PM

my grandpa had a trick where a spectator had a pack of cards and moved so many off to corelate with his favorite time. the magican made a clock with the cards and he had a chosen one in he wallet and they matched. Any idea the name of this trick?

Postby Guest » 08/27/07 08:01 PM

I believe it's called "The Clock Trick"

I'm pretty sure it's in the Enc. of Card Tricks, or some other standard text.

Postby Guest » 08/27/07 11:01 PM

I think Bill is right. It sounds like the clock trick. There are many versions out there. There is one in Mnemonica (p.261).

There were also a lot of versions in an e-book on Jon Racherbaumer's web site. I wish I could be more helpful with sources, but thats all I can remember at the moment.

Postby Guest » 08/28/07 10:11 AM

can you buy this trick?

Postby Guest » 08/28/07 10:26 AM

As far as I know it's not a marketed trick. However, it is in numerous texts that are readily available.

Again, sorry I don't have exact references for you.

Postby Guest » 08/28/07 10:34 AM

thanks ill keep looking for it im pretty sure he bought it all the cards had differnet backs and when you turned the predictions over they matched say 3 of clubs while all the others were the 10 of hearts

Postby Guest » 08/29/07 03:22 PM

bodg19 -

Send me an e-mail and I can send you a method. As mentioned before it is a fairly standard trick and there are many variations.

Postby Guest » 08/30/07 10:12 AM

I believe Jon Racherbaumer has a book on the clock effect.

Van

Postby Richard Kaufman » 08/30/07 12:37 PM

And Rock's book is called "On the Clock Effect"!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine
Richard Kaufman

Postby Guest » 08/30/07 01:30 PM

I have an old packet trick called "Now is the Hour" and it sounds exactly like the one that you have described. I bought this probably over twenty years ago and it really played well for a lay audience. The instructions are labeled as "Another Quality Product from MURRAY's MAGIC & NOVELTY" of Willoughby, Ohio. No credit for the effect is given but it would be good to know who this belongs to....

The effect, as written in the instructions, is thus:

The hours of a clock provide a thrilling and colorful triple surprise. Introduced is a wallet containing a prediction card, and a pack of 25 cards with 25 different back designs. Assistant visualizes the face of a clock and mnentally selects any hour. Assistant takes one card from the pack for every hour mentally selected (this is done while magician's back is turned). Magician lays 12 cards on the table in the pattern of a clock. Assistant reveals the hour mentally selected, takes the card at the mentally selected hour and places it in the center of the clock pattern. The prediction card is removed from the wallet and layed next to the selected card. The back of the selected card and prediction card match (these are the only two cards with matching backs) The two cards are turned face up; the faces also match (example: 3 of hearts) Assistant turns face up all the remaining face down cards. Each and every card is seen to be the same (example: King of Spades), but different than the assistant's selected card and prediction card. The cards the assistant removed (1 card for each hour mentally selected) are now revealed and turned face up. They are also King of Spades. The only two cards that match back and face are the selected and predicted cards.

WHEW!!

Postby Guest » 09/03/07 01:52 PM

Frank Garcia and George Schindler's "Magic With Cards" has a version called "Big Ben".
Bob Longe has published several versions in his books as well. The only one i have at hand is "The Jumbo Book of Card Tricks and Games" which lists Mr. Longe as one of the authors. It has several versions.

Postby Guest » 09/03/07 05:32 PM

Originally posted by rage1:
As far as I know it's not a marketed trick. However, it is in numerous texts that are readily available.

Again, sorry I don't have exact references for you.
It has been marketed by many different dealers and in many different forms. One of them was Ken Brooke's Clock-Au-Dacious.

Postby Guest » 10/02/07 10:30 PM

Stevens Magic still sells the Dick Koornwinder original and other Ken Brooke originals,
http://www.stevensmagic.com

Postby Steve Cook » 10/20/07 01:23 AM

A lovely booklet on the 'clock effect' was written
by Roy Johnson and published by Jeff Busby (1984)
called: 'A World of Clocks'. Just a handful of
effects but each one beautifully conceived in typical Johnson fashion. It may be out of print now but worth checking around for it. For a completely different principle for the 'clock effect', check out Roy's book 'Silver Special'
(if you can obtain one. It was published in 1989 by Goodliffe, here in the UK. As mentioned elsewhere, Ken Brooke put out a very commercial version of the clock effect called: 'Clockaudacious' which has since been ripped-off by some unscrupulous dealers. Paul Stone here in the UK still sells the original I believe. The 1971 Racherbaumer pamphlet entitled:
'On the Clock Effect' (as also mentioned elsewhere) is definitely worth a look.
Steve Cook

Return to General