Triumph/Out of This World/etc.

All beginners in magic should address their questions here.

Postby Guest » 12/26/02 08:24 PM

As I run through the forum and read, I have found a lot of references to "Triumph routines" and "Out of This World". Where can I find more information on these? To my knowledge, neither is in The Royal Road to Card Magic (of course, I'm only into the 5th chapter).

Also, I picked up Bobo's Coin Magic book this morning (surprisingly it was in our local bookstore for only $10.00). Is there anyting in here that I should pay particular attention to?

Thanks in advance for any help/insights.

Postby Richard Kaufman » 12/26/02 08:45 PM

You won't find either of those routines in "Royal Road." "Out of this World" is one of MANY fine routines in the book based entirely on Paul Curry's work, "World's Beyond," published by Hermetic press.
"Triumph" first appears in Stars of Magic. I would imagine that at least 100 variations have been published in numerous other books.
Bobo's Modern Coin Magic is a great book. You need to decide what type of coin magic you want to learn: sleeving, or coin box magic, or gimmicked coin magic, or platform magic, or ... making that decision will lead to certain sections of the book and make choosing something to learn much easier.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine
Richard Kaufman

Postby Carl Mercurio » 12/27/02 02:53 PM

Darren,
I guarantee you that after 20 years, if you're still into magic, you'll still be referring to Bobo's for ideas. I still do. One of the great books in magic. For $10 you got a lifetime of material. My favorite items are the coins across, coins to glass, and coins and hanky work. I still do two pennies on the leg. I'm not much of a coin box guy, but it seems to me that Roth's revolutionary coin box work in Expert Coin renders some of the Bobo's coin box stuff obsolete. Mike Gallo does some brilliant coin box work as well (see the video produced by Randy Wakeman if you want to be fooled badly). My other favorite coin workers include Downs, Kaps, Slydini, Goshman, Stone, Roth, Gallo (dad and son), hell, there's too many to cover them all....Enjoy Bobo's...
Carl Mercurio

Postby mrgoat » 01/02/03 12:16 PM

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
[QB]You won't find either of those routines in "Royal Road.
Hmm, not one to take issue with the boss and all that, but...

I would say that "The Tipsy Trick" found in the RR is the same plot as "Triumph".

I still prefer that version to any of the fancy schmancy Triumphs around. It's simplicity is its brilliance.

Or maybe I am horribly wrong and about to embarrass myself...?
mrgoat

Postby Guest » 01/02/03 03:58 PM

Darren wrote:
Also, I picked up Bobo's Coin Magic book this morning (surprisingly it was in our local bookstore for only $10.00). Is there anyting in here that I should pay particular attention to?
I suggest taking a look at the foundations section of Dan Watkins' coin magic site, Coin Vanish (click here) , for advice on tackling Bobo's.

Return to General