REALLY easy, REALLY amazing

All beginners in magic should address their questions here.

Postby Guest » 02/17/04 02:45 AM

Hi everyone. I'm new to magic and just wanted to know a trick that I can do to just impress my friends. Nothing serious.

I would like the trick to be VERY easy, or easy enough for a complete beginner. But it must also be amazing and get a wow out of my friends.

Thanks all in advance.

Postby Steve Hook » 02/17/04 07:57 AM

Angelol:

Go to the bookstore or library and buy or borrow a book on magic. Go through all the tricks until you find one you like. Then practice and perform it. Magic is a lot about the journey of discovery. Go for it!
Steve Hook

Postby M. Sibbernsen » 02/17/04 10:29 AM

To expand on Steve's advice...

Seek out these books on your visit to the bookstore.

Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic- The new edition is an over-sized softbound. Black in color.

Magic for Dummies- By David Pogue. Yellow and Black.

Both of these books are perhaps the best easily found books to get started in magic. They will most likely be located in the "Games / Puzzles" section of your local bookstore. They are also available for a good price online from Amazon.com.

For the time being, here is a nice online card trick (a variation of an old classic) for the beginner to magic you might enjoy learning and performing.

http://waterloomagic.netfirms.com/BMJframe.html

Best of luck with your Magical endeavors.

Michael
M. Sibbernsen

Postby Guest » 02/17/04 01:24 PM

Something that people have told me is one of my best effects was a simple force and finding a duplicate. All I did was put the folded duplicate in my mouth before hand and have the "chosen" card replaced, my shirt lifted up and then the deck smacked across my stomach. Just act like you're going to be sick because they hit you too hard and they should be amazed when the card pops out. Just try to draw attention to the card or something to make sure no wiseguy goes through the deck looking for the card.

Alternatively, manipulate it to the top and palm it off, but that's probably a bit too advanced for what you're looking for. If you use a trimmed card, it won't be too hard to cut it to the top though.

Postby Guest » 02/17/04 10:29 PM

Thanks everyone. Well, there are no bookstores nearby for a long way so it'll be a while till I get to one.

Until then, could you all please tell me what the first magic trick you ever did. Just was wondering.

Postby Rick Schulz » 02/18/04 07:54 AM

AngeloL,

I suggest you order The Magic Book by Harry Lorayne from L&L Publishing (click here ) - a great book for beginners! Also, Amazon (click here ) carries The Amateur Magician's Handbook by Henry Hay and Magic Digest by George Anderson. These three books, in addition to those offered by Michael Sibbernsen, contain a wealth of information and will keep you busy for quite some time. Good luck!
Rick Schulz

Postby Guest » 02/18/04 10:07 AM

Until you get a chance to buy some good beginner's books (as mentioned above)...

You can learn a few, good, simple tricks right here on the Genii website:

http://geniimagazine.com/tricks/tricks.html

Postby Guest » 02/20/04 06:12 PM

Scarne on Card Tricks has some brilliant card magic in it and NO sleight of hand either.
PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
AB Stagecraft
http://www.mindguy.com.store
Supplying professional mentalism world-wide

Postby Steve V » 02/20/04 11:28 PM

Where are you in Australia? There is a newish magic shop in Sidney. The first magic trick I learned was cutting a banana in half before peeling it.
Steve V
Steve V
Steve V

Postby Guest » 02/21/04 01:15 AM

Baulkham Hills. North Sydney.

Postby Guest » 02/21/04 10:07 AM

Incidently, if anyone is having trouble with Paul's link, I think that it should be http://www.mindguy.com/store/

Postby Guest » 04/12/04 08:23 PM

First trick I ever did...hmmm... :rolleyes:
Do As I Do.
I eventually built the story around a magical mirror image and I still do the trick that way. The trick is available in most books on beginner card magic. Even as simple as it is, given the right presentation it's still as magical as it was a millenium ago. If you can't find it, then email me. I'll be more than happy to discuss it.

Postby MagicManCT » 04/18/04 09:10 PM

The other thing i think that really helps a beginner is a magical mentor who could help you when you need it!,,,,looking back i wish i had a mentor to steer me in the right direction and save me lotsa money spent on worthless magic. Now with the internet, books and videos easlily available beginners should have an easier time of it than i did in the stone age.
MagicManCT

Postby Guest » 04/26/04 12:10 AM

My first book was Bill Tarr's "Now You See It, Now You Don't". It has a good variety of fundamentals for cards, coins, sponge balls, and all kinds of other stuff in it. It's very well illustrated too.

Return to General