Frank Garcia

All beginners in magic should address their questions here.

Postby Guest » 02/28/02 03:47 PM

Hello! I'm doing some research on the late
Frank Garcia. I never had the opportunity to
watch Mr. Garcia perform. I do have one of
his video tapes from Stars of Magic (The
first one with Triumph Outdone & Eyemazing.)
and one of his books, "Magic With Cards."

What I'm interested in is if some of his
friends or anyone who saw him perform could
tell me what his favorite or pet tricks were?
Did he change his routine from time-to-time?
Or did he have a set routine like Don Alan
and Albert Goshman?

I deeply appreciate any input on this late
"giant" of magic.

-- Steve Macko

Postby Guest » 02/28/02 08:04 PM

Well I didn't know Frank Garcia but the latest issue of Mr. Gadfly has a few of Mr. Garcia's friends talking about him.

Noah Levine

Postby Pete Biro » 03/05/02 07:28 PM

Do a Frank Garcia shearch on ebay, there's a guy selling a few Private, home video tapes of Garcia... reasonably priced too. ;)
Stay tooned.
Pete Biro

Postby Michael Kamen » 03/24/02 10:08 PM

Steve,

I am not sure my anecdote is what you want for your project, but I have fond memories of meeting Frank Garcia numerous times when I was a young magician growing up in New York and hanging out at Lou Tannen's during the early 60's. I remember him as a good natured and good-humored man who was highly regarded in the magical scene there, and tolerant of us young guys. He published much excellent material, notably but not limited to very innovative sponge balls stuff. Another post here from Richard Kaufman (that I just read today) suggests that Frank's work is largely unavailable today due to controversies over his estate. This is news to me since I am only just coming back to magic after 35 years away. Anyway, a fond memory for me is the time I managed to pop Frank's eyes with a variation on one of his own sponge-ball routines (the variation was actually taught to me by the late John Benzais). I was just a lad, and he probably was not expecting it is all. To Frank I was just one of many kids with braces, magician-wannabes in those days. But it is a fact that I consider it an honor to have in a small way, known and been known to this legend of magic. Best of luck in your research.

Regards,
Michael
Michael Kamen
Michael Kamen

Return to General