thread

All beginners in magic should address their questions here.

Postby Guest » 12/12/05 01:54 PM

hey if someone wanted to start off trying invisible thread effects, what should he obtain? what sort of thread, reel? what instructional materials? peki's "art of floating" dvd looks lovely, but i don't know whether the material is too difficult. assume i know nothing.

Postby Guest » 12/13/05 10:55 AM

Find a copy of "Who's Afraid of Invisible Thread." It has everything you need to know about performing with invisible thread, including a hookup that works well if you're doing walkaround magic.

Postby Guest » 12/19/05 10:12 AM

Any suggestions about which invisible thread is best and why?
Thanks,
Lou

Postby Guest » 12/19/05 10:42 AM

Different threads for different purposes. The LeClair book is strongly recommended to get started. 'Thicker' threads are stronger, but more visible. Not sure if there is a 'best' thread, as each has its purpose which are different for each individual. My suggestion is to read LeClairs book, try various threads, and use whatever works best for your conditions.

Practice with plain nylon thread. Fabric shops carry spools of multifilament nylon that you can strip to various thicknesses. For under five bucks you can't go wrong.

Reels generally use monofilament thread. They tend not to stretch and are less forgiving than the multifilament threads. Don't get caught up in how far you can walk away from the levitation. You'll overlook the entire point of the effect.

Loops are an alternative as well. Explore them.

Postby Guest » 12/19/05 12:18 PM

Does the Leclair material have information on the various types of threads and their specific uses?

Postby Guest » 12/19/05 07:47 PM

does any thread worker out there know the peki "art of floatind" dvd? any opinions on it?

Postby Guest » 12/20/05 10:34 AM

merlou:
I haven't reviewed LeClairs book in some time, so I may be wrong, but I don't believe LeClair discusses various threads. The book did come with a sample of thread which you must strip, which reinforces my thought that this type of thread is the only type that is discussed.

I strongly recommend practicing with various types of thread, to see which you prefer best. The monofilament threads that are thicker tend to be a little more reflective to light, which may be detrimental. Monofilament has the properties similar to human hair.

Nylon is less reflective IMO, and stretches slightly. I prefer this type and use a modified LeClair hookup.

Direction of light is critical. Movement of the object independent of your body is critical. Absence of 'wobble/bouncing' effect is critical.

Also to all thread workers, please dont abuse and overuse IT work. Its about the effect, not "...and I can't even see the string!..."

Return to General