Card Palming

All beginners in magic should address their questions here.

Postby Sir Ross » 02/21/07 01:39 PM

I've been working on card magic for abit now; started with self-working tricks and have begun advancing through Royal Road.

A challenge I've found is to palm a card without bending the heck out of it. I have smallish hands and tend to bend the card in my palm so it's not visible to the spectator. However, when i place it on the deck, it has a visible warp.

Any suggestions on how to work through this?
Thanks.
The measure of morality is how one treats those least able to defend themselves
Sir Ross

Postby Guest » 02/21/07 06:33 PM

This bothered me when I first started palming cards.
Here's your clue: if you bend the card in a different direction it does alot to undo the bend that palming it put into it in the first place. If you do some riffle shuffles or spring the cards from one hand to the other a few times this will also bend the cards - do it the other way and it does alot to unbend the cards.

Postby Guest » 02/21/07 06:45 PM

Once you become more comftorable with holding the card(s) in your palm, you will be able to relax your hand without the cards showing.

This relaxation will reduce some of the bend in the cards.

Postby Guest » 02/21/07 08:43 PM

To quote Bob White (who I believe was quoting Jennings), "Bend the hell out of it!" :)

Postby Sir Ross » 02/23/07 07:25 AM

Thanks Everyone! "Bend the Hell Out of It" made me laugh. Good advice about relaxing with time and experience, as well as bend back the other way through shuffles!

Thanks again
The measure of morality is how one treats those least able to defend themselves
Sir Ross

Postby Guest » 02/23/07 05:17 PM

For John Wilson:

Bob White was quoting Charlie Miller. Regardless, it's great advice.

Tom Gaudette

Return to General