Chapeaugraphy anyone?

Discuss general aspects of Genii.

Postby troublewit » 09/02/03 06:57 PM

Hi Richard......just wondering if any new installments of the Chapeaugraphy (spelling?) feature are in the makings? I really have enjoyed them, as well as the rest of your magazine. Kudos...Christopher
Christopher Klocek
337 N Wood St
Griffith, In 46319
219-765-7123
troublewit@aol.com
troublewit

Postby Guest » 09/02/03 09:02 PM

I too am enjoying Mr. Hodges Chapeaugraphy Folio and am hoping that it appears complete in book form someday.

Postby George Olson » 09/03/03 08:12 AM

Hey, "troublewit" how about something on Troublewit!

I've got Don Alan's small (6" lomg)from the auction of his items a couple of years ago. I tried it a couple of times at my venue, but with todays attention spans it wasn't a feature item.

GO
George Olson

Postby Guest » 04/17/06 08:18 AM

Reviving an old thread ...

I think the "hat act" is superb, in the right hands. I have a question: I have a buddy who is researching Chapeaugraphy, and I wonder if anyone has a video of Harry Anderson's routine that he did on Saturday Night Live and the Johnny Carson show? Not to imitate, of course, but for him to see one way of routining it. I'll swap one of my DVDs for it. Thanks!

John R

Postby Guest » 04/17/06 08:53 AM

Shameless plug:

Visit www.squashpublishing.com for a limited edition (250 hand-bound copies) manuscript on Chapeaugraphy, "The Magic Hat," written by Eugene Laurant. This includes his patter in rhyme, rare photos of his routine for the hat, and a short essay on the history of the entertainment.

Postby Pete Biro » 04/17/06 11:25 AM

Veronin's wife, Svetlana, does a lovely routine with "fashion model-type" poses.

And, as I have said so many time in the past. MAKE UP YOUR OWN ROUTINE...!!! :p
Stay tooned.
Pete Biro

Postby Steve Bryant » 04/17/06 12:09 PM

Junge-Junge have a new three-man chapeaugraphy routine with large production values that is both hilarious and inspiring, surely the best routine anyone has ever done with this idea.
Steve Bryant

Postby Guest » 04/17/06 01:12 PM

We offer for a long time a CD with three classic works on chapeaugraphy Chapeaugraphy CDROM

Best,
Chris....

Postby Guest » 04/17/06 05:04 PM

chris, i got two of them from your site, THE NEW MODERN CONJUROR and THE ART OF CHAPAUGRAPHY. Both were excellent, and th edownloadable format is great for instant gratification!

Apparently Gene Gordon's MAGICAL LEGACY has a routine too.

Right on Pete B -- a personalized routine is a MUST. it's a great way to do autobiographical stuff.

John R

Postby Guest » 04/17/06 05:28 PM

For George and others...There's very little published on Troublewit. I recommend two books: one by Herb Morrissey which gives good tips on the care and breaking in of a Troublewit and the other is Frank Herman's book on Troublewit. I think both are available from Magic, Inc, who is the publisher of Frank's title.

It takes a certain amount of finesse and charm to make a routine with Troublewit work.

Postby Pete Biro » 04/17/06 05:50 PM

Jay Marshall did it as a stuffy British Gent. (Troublewit, that is). There was a stand up comic that did a great chapo routine with just his pocket handkerchief. Wish I could recall his name... was in the Ed Sullivan era.
Stay tooned.
Pete Biro

Postby Guest » 04/18/06 06:31 AM

I also vaguely recall a chapo routine using paper plates. Seems like a good approach for certain performers/venues?

John R

Postby Guest » 04/21/06 09:11 AM

I have loved this feature item since I saw Harry Anderson do a brilliant rendition of it on the Tonight show many years ago. "ha...ain't got no clam music, do ya?"

Not only was it clever but it was emotionally touching as well. Any one out there remember the performance?

Frank Tougas

Postby Guest » 04/21/06 09:24 AM

Harry still does this in a different form (with pathos) in his latest version of "Wise Guy." This is now an encore item.

His show opened again last night at Oswald's. The Hat is back. He also has a Magic Night every Wednesday. Anybody in town should drop by... It is a unique gathering.

Arturo Brachetti of Italy also does an affecting, superb segment with the "doughnut-shape piece of felt) in his marvelous one-man show.

Onward,

JR

Return to General