Making Needles Safe

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.

Postby Guest » 06/21/03 10:21 AM

I really love watching the needles illusion performed. Especially by Teller of Penn & Teller. I have always wanted to perform this, but the problem is that I value my throat too mcuh to just go hiding needles in my cheeks and pretending to swallow needles while actually just letting them hang out in the corner of my mouth. That doesn't sound too appealing to me. Does anybody know of any ways to make this classic a bit safer? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.
Magically,
Joseph Nicholas

P.S. The new Razor Blades versions of the needles trick look very interesting, does anybody use this? Is it worth bying and learning? Any feedback would be wonderful. Thanks!

Postby Pete Biro » 06/21/03 10:08 PM

If you ever could see Otto Wesselley do the razor blades you would never want to do needles. :p

Otto must do 100 or more blades. :cool:

One of the great, funniest acts ever. :D
Stay tooned.
Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » 06/21/03 10:09 PM

If you are chicken, :eek: you could always do it with beads.... stringing a yard of beads. :genii:
Stay tooned.
Pete Biro

Postby Guest » 06/22/03 08:36 AM

Hey, Pete - you gave me a great idea! Chicken! Eat six McNuggets, then some string, make disgusting noises and faces and then pull out the six McNuggets threaded on the string! :eek:

Postby Pete Biro » 06/22/03 09:30 AM

Good idea... altho I prefer Vienna Sausages. :help: :eek: :help:
Stay tooned.
Pete Biro

Postby Steve V » 06/22/03 11:46 PM

you can dull the points a bit by plating the needles.
Steve V
Steve V
Steve V

Postby Guest » 06/23/03 01:03 AM

This trick is just distasteful. And large percentages of audiences aren't entertained, they're just repulsed. Don't think the trick is worthy of pursuing.

Postby Guest » 06/23/03 06:20 AM

I disagree with David. Teller, David Ben, Mr. Electric, Richiardi, Tim Ellis, Lee Noble and a host of others do the needles (or razors, lights, etc.) without repulsing their audiences.

I'm sure that David Blaine could freak people out on the street doing the needles.

Not all of our audiences are the high-society types (thank goodness).

HR

Postby Guest » 06/23/03 07:01 AM

One more thing...it's not a "restaurant trick". But being suitable for a restaurant or strolling isn't the only criteria for trick selection (though you would think so talking to 90% of the magicians out there).

HR

Postby Guest » 06/23/03 07:40 AM

On the needles, Shreeash Palshikar (sp?) of Chicago, did the needles in the traditional way at a Halloween party at Magic, Inc a few years ago and KILLED with it.

He showed each needle as he swallowed it. Swallowed the thread, too.

Took off his shirt and reached into a scar on the side of his chest! Pulled out the needles threaded on the thread.

It KILLED everyone there. Jay Marshall said that he hadn't seen it done that way in decades and was very impressed.

Frankly, if Blaine was to do it, I'm sure that he'd do this version - or a variation.

MUCH stronger than the seeming regurgitation form so favored by so many (Mr. Electric being a notable exception, obviously).

Just some thoughts on it,

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
http://www.leedarrow.com

Postby Guest » 06/23/03 09:28 AM

There's a version, not quite as strong, that I've seen Simon Drake do where the needles are dropped into a shot glass which is then filled with wine and drunk.
The loose needles never go into the mouth in this version.
Perhaps one of the more learned members on this board knows where this version can be located.

Postby Pete Biro » 06/23/03 10:08 AM

Jim Steinmeyer created that I believe. It is very clever and those pesky needles (the loose sharp ones) never go in your mouth. :cool:

It was probably in Magic Magazine (sorry Moo)! :whack:

So, taking that information... you can and should devise your own handling. :D

Needles are steel aren't they? :confused:
Stay tooned.
Pete Biro

Postby Guest » 06/23/03 11:03 AM

Thanks Mr. Biro.
Only someone with your magnetic personality could point us in the right direction.

Postby Frank Yuen » 06/23/03 11:38 AM

I think the Steinmeyer version is in his book, "Device and Illusion". David Williamson performed it on one of the magic specials.

Frank Yuen
Frank Yuen

Postby GAMOLO » 06/23/03 03:05 PM

To answer the original question....I found that taking my needles & razor blades to the local shoe repair shop and asking the fellow to dull the blades/points on his electric sanded belt was the fastest and easiest way to dull the edges/points. The blades/needle points appear exactly like the ungaffed ones to the eye and it is virtually impossible to cut oneself with the dull blades/points.
GAMOLO

Postby Guest » 06/23/03 03:21 PM

In the Charlatans handbook by Sid Fleischman there is a version where you don't start with needles in your mouth and with no change of the needles.
Is more for a close up tipe performance but is a very interesting idea

Postby Guest » 06/23/03 03:33 PM

Check out The Jinx, issue 1, The East Indian Needle Trick. No loose needles are ever in your mouth, though the first couple times you try it the feeling of the threaded packet unwinding in your mouth can be a bit unnerving. And with all respect to David Groves, I believe that there is a very definite place for the needle trick, as long as your character and setting support it. Post-college cabaret: perfect. Birthday party clown: tempting, but no.

Zech Johnson

Postby Guest » 06/25/03 08:38 PM

Steve,
I would love to use your method for the needles, what is your e-mail adress. Thanks.
Magically,
Joe Rees

Return to Platform & Stage Magic