card scaling

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.

Postby Guest » 01/22/03 08:38 PM

I have played around with card scaling for the past year or two and find it kind of fun. I have given up on even trying to find cards as weapons, so I am looking for other sources for card scaling. The moves that I use today are pretty limited when it comes to scaling. I use a move I saw a gambler do in an old movie where you deal the card with the thumb from the dealing position. I use Leanart Green's top shot (although it is close up, you can get it about half way across the room while standing). I also use the two methods on Jeff Mcbride's Card Manipulation videos, the Boomerang Card and...well...that other one... sorry, I forgot the name. It was that one that is most commonly caught in a top hat in the opposite hand. If there are some other scaling techniques scattered around in books I would not mind persuing them. Just please dont recoment cards as weapons :D

Postby David Acer » 01/22/03 09:38 PM

Rick Bronson (a magician/comedian/television host from Edmonton) has a totally new and original technique for scaling cards. He can send them great distances with great accuracy, and I've been trying to get him to publish (or let me publish) his work on the move for years. One day, I'll convince him (up to now, I've offered him everything but sex), and when I do (offer him sex), I recommend you RUN to purchase whatever book, video or DVD is lucky enough to contain the method.
Now tweeting daily from @David_Acer
David Acer

Postby Pete Biro » 01/23/03 11:09 AM

I get greater distance by cheating. Glueing two cards together... :p

Although glueing a card to a rock works pretty good too... :rolleyes:
Stay tooned.
Pete Biro

Postby Bill Mullins » 01/23/03 11:20 AM

David Stone has a move (published in one of his lecture notes, sorry I don't remember which one) in which he is doing an in-the-hands riffle shuffle, and shoots one card horizontally off the bottom of the deck. He's pretty accurate, and can send one across a small room.

I'm not so skilled with it, myself.

Also Martin Lewis has a move (described in Cards as Weapons) in which you hold a deck vertically, in sort of a Biddle Grip, thumb on bottom edge, middle through pinky fingers on top, and you use your index finger to pull the back card down, cant it slightly counter-clockwise, and release it. It spins straight up into the air (or at an angle if you hold the deck at an angle).
Bill Mullins

Return to Platform & Stage Magic