I need a levitation in LA RIGHT NOW!

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.

Postby Guest » 08/08/06 03:21 AM

Howdy

Dave Cox, here. I am in serious need of an Aga style levitation for Tuesday, August 8th. Yes, I know. It's for a short film, and they need a girl to rise straight up off of a bed to a height of about 6-8 feet. We thought we had it covered, but the Aga we were going to rent fell through, the producer approved another Gamolo style levitation, and then, at the last minute, the director saw it and had a fit. So, I'm calling or writing everyone I know who might have something like that sitting around. Their budget is small, but there is money for this, as it is the money shot of the short.

If you have one, or have any idea of who might, please give me a call.

I appreciate your time. I wish I had more of it, myself...

Cheers,
- Dave Cox
(213) 386-2442
www.TheDaveCoxShow.com

Postby Pete Biro » 08/08/06 04:48 PM

Probably too late??? But have you called Mark Wilson or Johnny Gaughan?
Stay tooned.
Pete Biro

Postby Guest » 08/14/06 02:37 AM

I needed to arrange a shot of a lady rising off of a bed about 6 feet into the air in an eerie levitation, representing her freedom from oppression, for an independent film. In less than 24 hours.

I called everyone I knew of who had ever floated anyone in a 100 mile radius of LA. No luck.

In the end, at noon on Tuesday, I called a company that rents cranes for the film industry, and had a $35,000 motorized crane delivered 2 hours later on a flatbed truck, rolled it onto the set, attached a 10 foot pipe to the front of the crane arm, disguised it, used an adaptor to mount the harness of my Impaled illusion onto it, covered THAT, strapped the actress into it, propped up the front side of the mattress with sand bags to conceal the extra depth, crossed my fingers a I advised the actress to cross her legs, and shot it at 5PM.

She rose a majestic 10 feet off of the bed, and you could see her in the mirror behind the bed. I was pushing and pulling the crane arm, and it STILL looked beautiful to me.

Thanks to everyone who called me on such short notice with suggestions and leads.

Cheers,
- Dave Cox
www.thedavecoxshow.com

Postby Guest » 08/14/06 10:49 AM

That's why I love the movie business : never a dull moment.

Not the sort of thing one can just nip down to the local magic shop (unless you happen to live in Colon, MI) and pick up on short notice, eh ?

That's a great story , Dave , and glad it had a happy ending.

Postby Pete Biro » 08/15/06 03:09 PM

Way to go Dave... as they say, "Necessity is the Mofo of Invention."
Stay tooned.
Pete Biro

Postby Guest » 08/15/06 05:50 PM

Congrats for pulling it off. Whatever you were paid, you should get more, but knowing the film business, they probably think you're fortunate to be working with them.

Return to Platform & Stage Magic