Jon Martin Master Mechanic.

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.

Postby Allen Tipton » 07/12/05 10:42 AM

I came across a number of references to Jon Martin under the post,'De Bierre, Keating & Williston Van. Birdcage' in Platform & Stage Magic. Granville Taylor (Faust) from Nelson, Lancashire, UK. has just completed a book entitled John Martin The Master Magical Mechanic.
It has 105 , A4 size pages. Limited edition of 250, all numbered & signed. There are 24 pages in full colour with over a 100 colour pics and TEN (10) detailed Workshop Plans of Martin Replicas actually made by Granville Taylor, who owns many Martin made pieces. Cost is 60 + %;50pence p/p/ or 12 airmail. Details should be on his website. He's selling some at the magic Circle Centenary Celebs at the Hotel Russell Square, London on 23rd. 24th. July. I have never met Granville Taylor, who as a young man was assistant to Murray and The Great Lyle, but on at least 2 occasions he was kind enough to send me pics of his full illusion shpow & the amazing Amac's Find The Lady,(which he owns) . I saw The Great Lyle present it but alas it's never, as far as I know been filmed for posterity.
Allen Tipton UK
Allen Tipton

Postby Pete Biro » 07/12/05 10:57 AM

It's Jon Martin. I used to have a good collection of his work, now most is owned by John Gaughan and Dr. Robert Albo. Les Cole, in the U.K. had an extensive collection (I photographed it years ago).

Martin was one of the great builders of mechanical bits of our time.
Stay tooned.
Pete Biro

Return to Platform & Stage Magic