Brushes for Stretcher Illusion

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.

Postby Blair Marshall » 11/14/02 05:24 PM

I have an old-style Stretcher illusion built by Gaughan and I would like to replace the material covering the openings with the brushes that are now in use. I have yet to find them in any industrial catalogue as I am not sure what industry they are "really" used in. Any suggestions would be welcome.
Thanks.

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
"ShaZzam!" - From the 1960's to the present.
Blair Marshall

Postby Guest » 11/14/02 07:31 PM

Though I've never examined it closely, I've seen similar looking brush material used as a rock guard on the back bumper of a motorhome to prevent the rear tires from spitting gravel at following vehicles. These are one long (8' or so) sweep; if the bristles are too far apart, perhaps two layers would suffice.

Regards,
Thomas Wayne

Postby Pete Biro » 11/15/02 09:59 AM

Call John Gaughan and ask for suggested suppliers.
Stay tooned.
Pete Biro

Postby Nicholas Carifo » 12/15/02 03:33 AM

I would advise against the brushes if you have never tried them. I performed a stretcher that used the bruses for a run of 500 shows a few years back, and those bruses were MURDER on my assistant's neck. They literally hurt when she performed it. So much so, we had to radically change the costuming to cover her neck all the way to the chin to prevent bleeding from excessive performances.

Unless they make these from a much softer material these days, I would suggest keeping the material. If I had to do it over again, i would have replaced all the brush material with spandex.

Just my opionion,
Nicholas Carifo
Nicholas Carifo

Postby Blair Marshall » 12/15/02 07:20 AM

Great reply, many thanks for the feedback. It will help.

500 shows??? Theme park?

Thanks again.

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
"ShaZzam!" - From the 1960's to the present.
Blair Marshall

Postby Nicholas Carifo » 12/15/02 01:32 PM

Yes, I perform Amusement Parks. That particular engagement was Kennywood Park in Pittsburgh, PA. Hope it helps. If you do find a different material or a soft brush, please let me know, I'd be interested too.

Nicholas
Nicholas Carifo

Return to Platform & Stage Magic