Question about card flourish origin

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.

Postby Guest » 12/23/07 04:37 PM

Does anyone know who invented the following sequence?

Left hand holds deck. Right hand takes top 1/3 or so, and fans balance of deck in left hand.

Right hand snaps open a one-handed fan that is held in front of and hides the left hand snapping it's fan shut. When left's packet is squared, the pinky of right hand clips it, hiding it behind its fan.

The left hand turns back toward audience, the right fans it a little. Left then turns, makes a "crumbling" motion, a little more fanning by right hand.
Left opens revealing the vanish of the cards it was holding.

Postby Guest » 12/23/07 05:06 PM

Sounds like something Paul Le Paul did. Don't know if he invented it or just used it in his act.

I use it in a short routine of color changes using the move described to steal away the top card for a color change. I then repeat and vanish the deck. It makes for a nice surprise ending to the routine.

Postby Guest » 12/23/07 05:59 PM

A similar move is describe in Arthur Buckley's CARD CONTROL (1946), page 138. It is called THE FAN VANISH.

Postby Guest » 12/23/07 06:09 PM

How long was it before the packet vanish idea was used to vanish the card case?

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » 12/23/07 07:09 PM

I can place Leipzig doing that circa 1906-07 or so, but I'm also fairly certain he wasn't the originator. I have some more detail that I'll post once I've had a chance to check my files.

-Jim
Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Guest » 12/23/07 07:40 PM

Le Paul, Buckley, Leipzig--now THAT'S pretty good company.

Thanks, gentlemen.

P.S. David: Color change. Good idea!

Postby Guest » 12/23/07 09:25 PM

Thanks Dave. I won't take up the time to detail it here, but letting the card to be removed sort of lift up around the heel of the thumb makes it easier to grab. I turn the left hand around as I make the gesture then reveal the change. I repeat with the vanish. It's worked well for me for years.

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » 12/24/07 10:05 AM

Here's the additional info I promised. This was published in "Magic Without Apparatus", by Camille Gualtier:
Mr. de Biere was the first to show us, at a private meeting, the vanish of the rest of the pack by the aid of a fan of cards, which we have since seen performed in public, notably by Nate Leipzig at the Theatre des Folies-Marigny and again last winter by Allan Shaw at the Olympia in Paris.
The original book, "La Prestidigitation sans Appareils" was first published in France in 1914, so that will give an approximate date for this. As I noted earlier, Leipzig was in France in 1906 and 1907, so that would have been when he was demonstrating it.

-Jim
Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Guest » 12/24/07 06:36 PM

Thank you chaps.

Merry Chrismas.

Return to Platform & Stage Magic