REVIEW NEEDED-mega cups and balls

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.

Postby Guest » 02/16/06 12:49 PM

Saw these on ebay. Any good ? I have an act with regular sized copper ones. Would you use them or just as a colloctor item?

Anthony

Postby Pete Biro » 02/16/06 01:13 PM

Without a link we can't tell you what they are. And do you NEED bigger cups for your shows?
Stay tooned.
Pete Biro

Postby Guest » 02/16/06 01:20 PM

THe is them.
http://cgi.ebay.com/MAGIC-TRICKS-TRICK- ... dZViewItem

I am always buying items for my show. Don't know when or where I will use them.

Anthony

I have been using Poker Chips for years in my show. Just got Poker Chip Surprise. Thank you for creating this.

Postby Bill Palmer » 02/20/06 03:22 PM

These have just been released. I ordered a set for the Museum last week. When they arrive, I will post my review.
Bill Palmer, MIMC
Bill Palmer

Postby Bill Palmer » 02/21/06 07:42 AM

Well, my set of Mega Street cups arrived this morning. I promised a review of these, and here it is.

First, I'll point out that there is no actual label on the box or piece of paper with the cups that indicates that they are actually from Magic Makers. I have reason to believe that they come from them, but there is no real proof of that. This said, here's what you get.

Three copper cups, each weighing 7.1 oz., and four 1 1/4 inch crocheted balls. The cups are about 1/4 inch shorter than a Paul Fox style Chick Cup. The weight is a little less than the Busby version of this cup. The mouth diameter is enough that the cups will take a baseball with ease.

They are shaped very much like a standard Paul Fox cup -- with two rings -- not three as in the PF/DD chick cups.

The workmanship is good. There are no obvious flaws -- the rim beads are very slightly open, but they are rolled evenly. The finish is also fairly nice. There are a few spinning lines, but most of these have been polished away.

I wouldn't recommend beating on them with your wand. However, for the price, they are certainly a bargain! That is, the "street price" of $99 to $149. The MSRP on these is $349. That's a little steep for this cup. However, I've paid more and gotten less.

I'll give these 4 1/2 stars out of five -- based on the low price.
Bill Palmer, MIMC
Bill Palmer

Postby Guest » 03/06/06 09:56 AM

Thanks. Just ordered mine.

Anthony

Postby Pete Biro » 03/06/06 10:23 AM

Bill: How do they compare in size etc. to my Galli Galli cups. Sounds almost like a copy?
Stay tooned.
Pete Biro

Postby Bill Palmer » 03/08/06 01:28 PM

The Mega cups are shorter and have a smaller diameter saddle. The contour breaks a bit more closely to the shoulder beads, so the general shape of the cup is a bit more "pointy" than the Gali-Gali cups. The diameter is about the same.

UPDATE:

Bob Bowden, the fellow who sells these things on eBay, assured me that these were not an MM product. They did not appear on MM's web site at the time. Now, they are there.
Bill Palmer, MIMC
Bill Palmer

Return to Platform & Stage Magic