Zens' Miracle Pocket To Pocket Trick

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.

Postby Guest » 08/05/07 10:33 PM

I fell in love with Zens' Miracle Pocket To Pocket Trick (Cards & Envelopes) the first time I saw it performed over 30 years ago, and have used it several times myself since.

Briefly: A spectator counts out 15 cards from a deck and has three others each choose a card and return it to the packet of 15, which the spectator seals in an envelope. Another spectator then counts out 15 cards and seals them in an envelope. The first spectator opens his envelope to find that it contains 12 cards, none of them being the chosen ones. The 2nd envelope is opened to reveal 18 cards, including the three chosen cards. Of course the viewers will swear the the magician never comes close to the envelopes once the cards are sealed in.

I try to keep the routine moving along, as there is a lot that has to happen from beginning to end, but it still never seems to get the response I think it deserves. I would appreciate advice from any who have experienced similar results. Is this just one of those effects more appreciated by magicians?

Postby Pete Biro » 08/06/07 03:17 PM

You would have to see Juan Tamariz lecture on PERFORMING and holding interest. There can be nothing more boring than to count a pile of cards, but Tamariz TEACHES you how to do many mundange things and make them VERY INTERESTING, ENTERTAINING AND FUN.

Think about it and you may discover how on your own.
Stay tooned.
Pete Biro

Postby Guest » 08/09/07 04:18 PM

Thanks for the response. I don't have any trouble holding audience attention during any other routine, but the impact of this one seems to get lost along the way.

One thing I have already done is to cut the original # of cards counted from 15 down to 12. Small difference...maybe.

Yes, counting cards is boring...but can part of the blame be directed toward our current "everything in an instant" society? I know...as an entertainer, it's my job to overcome that, right? :)

Postby Pete Biro » 08/09/07 06:17 PM

Tamariz makes counting cards fun.
Stay tooned.
Pete Biro

Postby Guest » 08/17/07 02:10 AM

Maybe this Simon Aronson Quote helps:

There is a world of difference between a spectators not knowing how somethings done versus his knowing that it cant be done.
Shuffle-bored, 1980

Counting Cards can be either boring or exciting. If the spectators feel that they know it cant be done, they will be very attentive when you count the cards, be it twelve or fifteen.
Some lessons can be learned from good mentalists. These are trained in stressing the impossibility of the forthcoming effect over and over to create real tension. Some excellent examples can be found in Barrie Richardsons books.
I am currently working on the same problem with "any card any number". A trick which in most cases is more interesting to the magician than to the spectators. But when presented well, it can be a memorable effect and even beat your sponge balls!

Return to Platform & Stage Magic