I don't want to paint my illusion.

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.

Postby Guest » 05/03/04 01:25 PM

What are different ways of finishing the outside of illusion boxes besides painting. I know Chalet Magic uses a stick on paper/vinyl. Does anyone one know of a source for that kind of self stick paper?

Postby Guest » 05/03/04 10:33 PM

Hey George

Its not sticky paper. Its either vinyl or really thin plastic guled on with a spray. Try 3M spray adhesive, it works really well. You can even use material and it looks good. Sparay adhesives are the best! Good luck my man

Postby David Nethery » 05/04/04 06:52 AM

You could contact George at Chalet Magic and ask him for the source . It might even be less trouble in the long run to have him do the job for you (though shipping expenses could be high depending on the weight of the illusion )

Contact info. is on the web site:

http://www.chaletmagic.com/
David Nethery

Postby Guest » 05/04/04 07:47 AM

Check with a local sign company, one who produces laser cut vinyl lettering. Some cool colors may be available. --Asrah

Postby Pete Biro » 05/04/04 11:59 AM

I would go with Formica cemented on. But why not paint????
Stay tooned.
Pete Biro

Postby Guest » 05/04/04 02:29 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. The reason I don't want to paint is a medical condition to where I do not need to breathe paint fumes of any kind.

Thanks again
George

Postby Frank Starsinic » 05/05/04 02:53 PM

You probably don't need to breathe contact cement fumes of any kind either, in that case.

I was going to suggest Formica and contact cement, just like Pete.

But now I'm not so sure.
Frank Starsinic

Postby Jim Riser » 05/05/04 03:06 PM

George;
There is another alternative you might want to consider. Several years ago (when I was making larger items) I used an "iron on" laminate. It was actually a thin formica type of product that was backed with heat sensitive glue. The laminate was roughly cut to size and laid onto the smoth cleaned wood surface. An opened up grocery paper bag was placed between the laminate surface and the hot iron to prevent scorching. After it cooled, the edges were easily trimmed. You might want to locate this item (I do not have a local source any more). There are no fumes to breathe. Just set your iron on the "laminate" setting. :D
Jim
Jim Riser

Postby Nicholas Carifo » 05/06/04 03:07 AM

An illusion painting secret that Paul Osborne gives in one of his books (can't remmber which one right now). After the illusion is built and sanded and ready for paint....

Try having a local autobody shop paint it for you with the air-gun paint system they use for cars. It will be a bit unorthodox for them, but the smaller independent shops will help you out, and probably charge you a reasonable rate since it is not a large car. Another idea is the local community college/vocational technical school for auto body painting. You may get the apint job low cost or even free if you just pay for the paint. Worth a try.... and you won't have to paint it yourself, breath any fumes, or start swearing your head off when the paint starts dripping:)

Nicholas Carifo
Nicholas Carifo

Postby Bill Palmer » 05/08/04 03:18 PM

If you can find a fabric that is the color you like, it will make a great covering. You can use Sobo or Aleen's Tacky Glue to put it on. Both of these are water based glues and they have no fumes.

However, paint is usually the best finish. Exterior grade house paint is particularly good. If you can find someone who is a painter, who has a garage or a paint room, let him do the job.
Bill Palmer, MIMC
Bill Palmer

Postby C. Hampton » 05/09/04 05:00 AM

The stuff Jim Riser mentions in easily found in hobby shops. It is used by RC enthusiasts to cover their planes or cars. This sounds like a good alternative to your needs. :whack:
Carlos Hampton
www.damainquieta.com/conferencias
C. Hampton

Return to Platform & Stage Magic