The Great Gizmo Glass

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.

Postby Guest » 01/01/07 10:07 PM

I was going through an old issue of Genii Magazine (July 1985) the other day and saw an ad for Abbott's "The Great Gizmo Glass." I just checked their latest catalog and it appears that it's still available.

This prop intrigued me. I currently perform a routine with a Foo Can and a Tenyo Milk Tumbler. It's been my opener for the past 20+ years. The routine has served me well but after reading the description for the The Great Gizmo Glass, it appears that it could be an improved replacement for the Tenyo Milk Tumbler.

I'm not looking for exposure here. I'm just looking for comments (good or bad) from anyone that owns (or has owned) this prop.

Regards,
Marty

Postby Guest » 01/02/07 11:59 AM

Marty,

Why not call Greg at Abbott's and talk to him about it?

The Abbott-made Gizmo Glass I own holds a small quantity of liquid and works on an entirely different principle than a milk pitcher.

Best,

Gabe Fajuri

Postby Pete Biro » 01/02/07 12:28 PM

I have one and it is not ala Milk Pitcher as Gabe says... it is a wine glass that the liquid in it can totally vanish while you hold the glass and/or re-appear. You do not pour out of it, altho depending on the routine you could. But it is not a large quantity.

You should call Greg Bordner, however, as the size may have changed from when I got mine.
Stay tooned.
Pete Biro

Postby Guest » 01/02/07 01:14 PM

Gabe and Pete,

Thanks for the replies. I did shoot an e-mail to Abbott's last week inquiring about it, but haven't heard back, yet. With the holidays and all I didn't get a chance to call them, but I will.

I posted here, too, just to get some feedback on this glass. So... you *can* pour out of it but it's not a large quantity. Are we talking ounces? That would rule out any chance of using it on stage. Hmmmm.... guess I'd better call Greg.

Thanks again!

Marty

Postby Larry Barnowsky » 01/03/07 12:54 PM

The prop appears on Ebay and other sites from time to time. I've had the prop in my hands and it is rather impractical to use deceptively IMO. It's sort of a Rube Goldberg prop. They are hand made and the craftsmanship is good. It might look good on a video clip. It holds about a quarter of a cup of liquid which can be poured out (carefully).
Magica Analytica
barnowskymagic.com
Larry Barnowsky

Postby Guest » 01/04/07 08:35 AM

Just to clarify - I am not a total bonehead. My post states that it works on "an entirely different principle than the Milk Pitcher."

Postby Guest » 01/04/07 10:37 AM

No worries here, Gabe. I understood you the first time and thanks again for your reply. Unfortunately it appears that the Gizmo glass won't work for me. The Tenyo Milk Tumbler lives on.

Regards,
Marty

Postby Pete Biro » 01/04/07 11:40 AM

I believe it was STAR Magic that made a fabulous little milk pitcher out of a plastic 1-cup measuring cup.

Also Merv Taylor had a glass that the liquid would vanish and appear in a very clever way.
Stay tooned.
Pete Biro

Postby Guest » 01/04/07 11:58 AM

Also Merv Taylor had a glass that the liquid would vanish and appear in a very clever way.
I'm all ears. More info please. :)

Marty

Postby Pete Biro » 01/04/07 12:23 PM

I forget the name of it but it was a sealed glass about 1.5 inches in diameter and maybe 4-inches tall. It had a heavy insert that moved up and down and when 'up' rested on an internal pin. A snap of the fingers, it dropped and the liquid RE-APPEARED VERY FAST.

Seemingly pouring it -- somewhat like a Milk Pitcher -- it would appear MT... aha... it was called the FULL-MT GLASS.
Stay tooned.
Pete Biro

Postby Guest » 01/05/07 08:16 AM

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like an interesting prop but too small for stage work.

Regards,
Marty

Return to Platform & Stage Magic