Four ring linking ring routine

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.

Postby Guest » 08/17/03 05:23 AM

I ws recently gven a set of linking rings, which I've never worked with before. I'm most interested in a comedy routine with only three or four rings, rather than eight.

Can anyone recommend either books or videos that teach both the basic moves, plus a good routine for a small number of rings?

cheers,
Malcolm

Postby David Garrity » 08/17/03 07:21 AM

Malcom,

"Whit Hayden's Comedy Ring Routine" is a four ring routine. It is a comedy, audience participation routine. It is available as a book or a video. Most dealers should carry it.
David Garrity
www.MagicalArtist.com
David Garrity

Postby David Acer » 08/25/03 08:48 PM

Hi Malcolm,

Chris Capehart's Three Ring Routine was published by Tannen's as part of their New Stars of Magic series - it has some very nice sequences.

The Camirand Academy also released Aldo Colombini's fun and funny three ring routine on video. It's called Three Ring Circus (go to www.camirandmagic.com).

Finally, if you can find a copy of George Blake's book, Comedy Magic (I think that's what it's called...), there's a terrific comedy linking ring routine in there.

Good luck!
Now tweeting daily from @David_Acer
David Acer

Postby Pete Biro » 08/25/03 10:08 PM

Hey Acer... knock off references to Blake's book... that is too good to let out!

Seriously, Whit's routine is outstanding, and Capehart has just released a fabulous DVD teaching his unusual handling.

Stevensmagic.com sells Al Koran's three ring routine whichis easier to master, and a good starting point.

But, if you can be funny, go for Whit's.
Stay tooned.
Pete Biro

Postby Q. Kumber » 08/26/03 12:44 AM

I learnt the Vernon routine Symphony of The Rings when I was eighteen and have used it ever since. A few years ago Gene Anderson showed me the Whit Hayden routine which I learnt and used for a season. But the Vernon routine had become too ingrained in my subconscious. I studied the Capehart routine when it first came out and it too is excellent.
If starting again I'd recommend the Hayden routine. If you do it and you're over 5'10" tall go for the 12" rings.
Two other four ring routines that are outstanding but as far as I know, unpublished, are Karrell Fox' and Paul Daniels'.
Whatever routine you go for, make sure that a spectator is perceived to examine the rings.
If you do street magic, or perform in shopping centres, or at a venue where you need to attract a crowd, the rings is excellent. It's noisy, it's in the hands and it's up high.
Q. Kumber

Postby Steve Bryant » 08/26/03 05:53 AM

Get the Cellini DVD. Just killer moves with a key and a single, like nothing I've seen before. You can incorporate any of this in your present routines or go with Cellini's entire 2-ring routine.
Steve Bryant

Postby Randy DiMarco » 08/26/03 06:51 AM

I recommend that you check out Allan Hayden's Fancy Ring Routine.
Randy DiMarco

Postby Guest » 08/26/03 01:32 PM

We carry Jack Dean's very unique four ring routine titled "FouRings" and it is available at Ab Stagecraft.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
AB Stagecraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
Unique magic and Mentalism World-wide

Postby Guest » 08/26/03 07:03 PM

We carry John Blake's 3 Ring Routine. A very smooth, very pretty routine. And none of that clanging and banging of the rings. John credits Chris Capehart and Richard Ross as his inspirations for the routine.

John's about to make a dvd of his new version, even smoother and silkier. Oooh!

Ben S.
Managing Partner
Magic, Music, & More

Postby Guest » 09/29/03 10:37 AM

I really like "Whits Haydens Comedy Linking Rings Routine". It uses 4 rings. It has a spectator participation that doesn't make them look stupid. The routine is easy to learn and has some really great magical moments. Not to mention it is also quite funny! (these jokes are over 2000 years old.....LOL)

Postby Guest » 09/29/03 11:26 AM

Tom Frank just released a DVD featuring Jack Millers Five ring routine. I haven't seen the DVD (yet) but I have seen Tom do the routine and it KILLS (it uses Rhyming patter to the tune of Poe's "The Raven"... sounds odd... but it 'works'... and works well.) The Miller routine is/was also available in booklet form (though the manuscript I have does not have the rhyming patter.)

Also:

Roger Klause has a Four Ring version of Jack Millers routine (w/ altered Rhyming patter) in his book "In Concert" (I believe Klause also performs this on an A-1 vid.)

Regards,
Doug Conn
www.dougconn.com

Return to Platform & Stage Magic