need help...

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.

Postby Guest » 08/03/05 08:57 AM

hey everybody my name is trent and i am a fifteen year old from atlanta ga.. i am doing a fundraiser show on the 20th of this month and really wanted to make the show a big one. i have a dove act that i enjoy using in my shows but i would really like to have some sort of a larger illusion or like a magical appearance at the beginning.. not much time and not a huge budget, does anyone have ANY advice??

Postby Brian Marks » 08/03/05 09:12 AM

Yeah stay away from the big illusion. Your better off with a small illusion. Make a glass of water appear and you can start off making a toast. Theater of the Mind has one.
Brian Marks

Postby Guest » 08/03/05 12:39 PM

You can make smaller effects seem larger, too, depending on how you build them up. A good example is Lesson 16 from Tarbell v. 1: The Rope and Tape principle. Walking through tapes can be a nice substitute for sawing someone in half (perhaps you're too faint of heart to work with a saw? etc etc).

Postby Jeff Haas » 08/03/05 05:35 PM

Look for The Mark Wilson Course in Magic at your local bookstore. There are several small illusions in there you can make out of cardboard boxes. You may need to convince an assistant or two to join you.
Jeff Haas

Postby Guest » 08/04/05 02:54 PM

Yah, the Mark Wilson book... has some good, easy to build illusion ideas in there. But don't rush it, if you are not ready, you are not ready. It's better to be prepared for the show, rather than stressed out about a 2 minute cardboard illusion.

Postby Guest » 08/04/05 04:46 PM

Listen to Eric! --Asrah

Postby Guest » 08/04/05 06:07 PM

thanks alot to everyone ill check out the book and will try not to rush it.

Postby Spellbinder » 08/05/05 06:03 PM

Are you performing on a stage with curtains, and can you get two backstage assistants to help you for about 30 seconds? If so, there is a quick appearance illusion you can do with just a short bit of practice, but if you don't have the stage, curtains or assistants, it isn't of much use.
Phineas Spellbinder
The Magic Nook
Spellbinder

Return to Platform & Stage Magic