Good childrens magic

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.

Postby Guest » 09/16/06 11:15 PM

my question is what are some impressive illusions you can do for kids but still make it kid appropriate or so they actually get it?
also, what are some good tricks for kids stage magic anyway? i have a start but i would like to see what you reccommend.

~Thanks~

Postby Guest » 09/17/06 06:16 AM

Originally posted by Steven Moormann:
what are some good tricks for kids stage magic anyway?
"Good Children's Magic" is whatever invokes "I've seen that one before!" as an expression of delighted anticipation rather that one of contempt.
;)

Postby Guest » 09/21/06 09:54 AM

If I may I would like to give you some thoughts about kid magic. I call kid shows and this is including birthday parties, I call them family shows.

Because the kids love to get involved with the show and watch the show. The parents and adults like to watch their kids get involved with the show.

If I may give a few thoughts about this subject. My Dad (the late Billy Bishop) was a family show entertainer. He started doing birthday parties and shows for the elks club etc. Then later performed in Vaudeville in what was called "Family Time."

Al Baker was the same kind of an entertainer.

Later my Dad got into doing early television and Night clubs. The night clubs were different than the night club/comedy club of today. Because in the old days the night club acts at the class night clubs were class. That is that a family could take the kids and they would enjoy the show.

My Dads (and my) magic material was and is about the same if we would do an adult banquet or a birthday party. The only difference is the audience.

If I may add this about performance attitude, that is I treat kids like adults when doing a show and adults like kids (in a way). So as an audience they sort of meet in the middle as a group you might say.

Here is a list of magic effects for stand up family shows that I enjoy. Hydrostatic glass, misers dream, Chinese sticks, rice bowls, linking rings, knotted silks, Jimmy Stoppard's billiard Ball routine, card sword, king monte, split deck, mental epic, brainwave deck, the phantom tube etc.

Chop chop used the chop cup as an encore for his stand up night club act. Galli Galli used the card in balloon as an encore and Roy Benson used a stand up closer called the Benson Bowl.

Jack Gwynne closed with the torn and restore magazine page. All would be great magic for a family show.

There is more of this in books like Tarbell, The Mark Wilson Course in magic, Greater Magic, Magic With Faucett Ross, The Life and Magic Of Billy Bishop by Glenn Bishop and published by David Charvet.

Al Schneider's DVD Vol 4 has some great stand up routines including a great coin routine using 3 stunning coin vanishes and a coin tray, and the best zombie routine I have ever seen.

You can see video of Billy Bishop at my web site www.bishmagic.org

I hope this helps.

Postby Guest » 09/22/06 10:24 AM

I agree with Glenn, children appreciate good magic, it doesn't have to have a lot of "sucker" tricks, or cute bunnies and bright colors. That is not to say you can't have those things but remember that kind of thing is some adult's idea of what would be good kid magic.

I do standard classic things like linking rings, cut and restored rope, even (yikes) 6 card repeat, all to good effect. I end pretty strong with my rendition of the vanishing bandana.

I do essentially the same show for kids as I do for adults. I guess it makes kids feel grown up and grown ups feel like kids.

Frank Tougas

Postby Mark Collier » 09/22/06 10:41 AM

As a general rule, I have found card tricks to be mostly ineffective for children with one notable exception.

In John Carney's Carneycopia, there is a great version of Dai Vernon's Picking The Pip.

Here's the effect:
You show a four and table it face down. You then show a three (same suit)on the face of the deck. You then proceed to remove the middle pip turning the three into a two. Pocket or table the deck and pick up the previously laid down four and put the pip from the three onto the four turning it into a five.

The kids will swear it is done with stickers. Since it's the only card trick I will do for the kids, I use an old deck and toss the five to into the audience.
Mark Collier

Postby Guest » 10/23/06 09:14 AM

Originally posted by Mark Collier:
As a general rule, I have found card tricks to be mostly ineffective for children with one notable exception.

In John Carney's Carneycopia, there is a great version of Dai Vernon's Picking The Pip.

Here's the effect:
You show a four and table it face down. You then show a three (same suit)on the face of the deck. You then proceed to remove the middle pip turning the three into a two. Pocket or table the deck and pick up the previously laid down four and put the pip from the three onto the four turning it into a five.

The kids will swear it is done with stickers. Since it's the only card trick I will do for the kids, I use an old deck and toss the five to into the audience.
Actually there are several card tricks that work for children. A repeat type trick, homing card, rising card, not to mention the many that translate to alphabet, number or picture cards.

I find it personally amazing how many children in my area actually ask to see a card trick.

Return to Platform & Stage Magic