Paul Fox Dye Tube

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.

Postby Leonard Hevia » 04/15/07 01:05 PM

I recently viewed the Vernon Revelations video on the color changing silk. Vernon displayed a Paul Fox dye tube that was barrel shaped. He proved it's superiority to the regular straight-sided tube by stuffing both eighteen inch silks inside at once.

Has anyone seen this device? Does the Paul Fox tube have a cloth tape inside, or is it like the Porper dye tube? Porper's dye tube isn't manufactured with an inside cloth tape.
Leonard Hevia

Postby Lance Pierce » 04/15/07 02:13 PM

This doesn't answer your question, but touches on something you mentioned:

Yes, the barrel-shaped tubes have a distinct advantage in that one will hold more than a straight tube. However, it also has a distinct disadvantage in that it's harder to push the silk out of the end when shoving one in. This is because the tube narrows toward the end. If you think of trying to cram fabric through a funnel, you get the idea.

For some handlings, this doesn't matter. For others, it's a real hang-up, and the performer must actually go up into the tube with forefinger and thumb and pull out the fabric (rather than just having it empty into the closed hand).

Anyway, just a consideration before committing to it.

Cheers,

Lance
Lance Pierce

Postby Guest » 04/15/07 02:18 PM

These are the bomb, and the price is unbeatable.

Postby Lance Pierce » 04/15/07 02:25 PM

Hi, Doug,

The Palmo's don't have tape in them, do they?

L-
Lance Pierce

Postby Guest » 04/15/07 02:33 PM

No, they do not.

Postby Leonard Hevia » 04/15/07 03:08 PM

Hi Lance-thank you for that response. I happen to love this effect and I do collect dye tubes. I'm still wondering if that Paul Fox tube had a tape on the inside. I've noticed that silks can dip a little out the bottom in dye tubes with no cloth tape in the center. That tape makes a difference...A decent tube with a cloth in the center and no tapered ends is not easy to locate.

Hi Doug, I've seen Palmos but never liked them.
Leonard Hevia

Postby Guest » 04/15/07 04:43 PM

I've never had an issue with tape...I used to use the (very nice) Johnson's Dye Tube, but the Palmo opens up such lovely possibilities :)

Simply introduce the *center* of the silk into the top of the Palmo *first*. (Vanished) silks won't dip out the bottom if you do this.

Postby Guest » 04/15/07 05:02 PM

I own several original Paul Fox dye tubes. He made them with the tape in the center. Hope this helps.

Postby Leonard Hevia » 04/16/07 07:11 AM

Hi David. Thank you. You gave me the answer I had been looking for. Paul Fox did indeed manufacture his barrel dye tube with that cloth tape in the center. Vernon didn't mention this in the revelations video and the camera never gives us a glimpse inside.

If tickets are not sold out--I will try to catch your presentation here in D.C.
Leonard Hevia

Postby Guest » 04/16/07 11:21 AM

Let me know if you will make it to the DC appearance. If so, I'll bring one of the Fox dye tubes with me so that you can look at, if you are interested in doing so, after the formal presentation.

Postby Richard Kaufman » 04/16/07 02:34 PM

The Genii will be there.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine
Richard Kaufman

Postby Pete Biro » 04/16/07 03:36 PM

Palmo works like a charm. I use one of those and a Lloyd Enoch's tube (altho I clipped off the piece on the outside that you tucked a corner of the silk under) to do my version of what many call the McComb Half-Dyed. Enoch's version where part of the silk doesn't change color (like McCombs only smaller section) is in the Rice Encylopedia.

Porper's tube would be what I would replace any of mine that get lost.
Stay tooned.
Pete Biro

Postby Leonard Hevia » 04/18/07 07:53 AM

Hi Pete. Since Porper is currently manufacturing the line of Paul Fox items, couldn't he recreate Fox's dye tube?
Leonard Hevia

Postby Rafael Benatar » 04/18/07 03:14 PM

A few years ago, Roger Klause, who owns a tube that Vernon gave him, had a dye tube in the market, following the barrel-shaped concept. He had them manufactured by Mystique Silks Mfg. who made beautuful silks. I used that tube all the time until I lost the two that I had (I suspect one of them is lost at home). I contacted Roger and he told me he also lost his and is using the one Vernon gave him, and that Mystique Silks mysteriusly vanished from the map leaving no trace. eventually contacted Porper. HHe makes a beautiful DT, not quite barrell but rather egg shaped, that holds 18" silks easily and is reasonably priced (www.porperoriginals.com). It doesn't have the ribbon inside and I don't think it needs it.
Rafael Benatar

Postby Guest » 04/19/07 01:05 AM

pages 120-151 of Hoffmans later magic, show a number of colour changing gimmicks.
It might be worth looking here, to see if there are any hints as to the construction of the Fox gimmick.

Postby Guest » 04/19/07 10:26 AM

Silk King (Rice Silks) has palmos for sale on there web site.

http://www.silkkingmagic.com/Rice\'s%20Palmo.htm

Fred

Postby Pete Biro » 04/19/07 10:43 AM

Porper is not making any Paul Fox items (yet).
Stay tooned.
Pete Biro

Postby Leonard Hevia » 04/22/07 03:39 PM

Hi Raphael. I have one of the Roger Klause dye tubes you mentioned. I bought from Stevens Magic several years ago. It came with two 15 inch silks.

Thanks for the response Pete.
Leonard Hevia

Return to Platform & Stage Magic