Need Smoke Emitting Device For Guitar

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.

Need Smoke Emitting Device For Guitar

Postby Guest » July 5th, 2004, 4:42 pm

Hey guys, My Name is Ladd Smith. My Band and I perform concerts for reasonably large audiences and having dabbled in magic (mainly close-up stuff) all my life, I have been dying to incorporate some sharp stage magic into our show. I have alot of Ideas from things I've seen etc. but one that I'm particularly interested in is finding a Small possibly remotely controlled Smoke Emitting Device to install inside of my Acoustic Guitar and possibly our kick drum, now it would have to be refillable or re-usable and reasonably easy to activate and refill if it uses fog machine liquid. I know such devices exists because the guitarist in the rock band Kiss has a false middle pick-up in his guitar that emits smoke, I've seen clips of it. So Anything like this would be great, Please post any links you have where I could find out a source to buy some gear to intergrate into our equipment for special effects. Or better yet e-mail me directly if you have a minute. Thankyou All So Much~

P.S. I'm Also Interested in the Stage Flare Projectiles that you can shoot from your sleeve or your "hands" uno the fireball thing for working in large venues where the fireball can go out over the audience, I'd like to try and install the device onto a guitar to shoot fireballs or sparks from behind the headstock or from the neck of the guitar. I know with all you talented and in-the-know Magicians surely someone could help me find some sources or might know of some other effects that could be used in a musical concert... Thanks Again! :confused:

Bill Mullins

Re: Need Smoke Emitting Device For Guitar

Postby Bill Mullins » July 6th, 2004, 8:20 am

Luna Tech is a local outfit that does stage and theatrical pyrotechnics.

I don't want to go to any concerts where the performers are shooting flares and what not over my head. Any pyrotechnics should be constrained in rigid mounts -- not aimable by people who might misjudge the angles and shoot at my head.

I can't imagine a fire marshall approving what you want.

Postby Guest » July 6th, 2004, 8:34 am

Sure I wouldn't want to do anything unsafe, it would definitely all be confined and tested to be safe, however I can't understand how fire marshalls can allow gene simmons to spit fire uno... lol anyhow I'm really wanting to find the smoke emitting device still nothing on that? :help:

Postby Guest » July 6th, 2004, 11:01 am

Try Hank Lee's Magic Factory for Ultrasmoke 2000

http://hanklee.org/xcart/customer/searc ... smoke+2000

Jeff Haas

Postby Jeff Haas » July 6th, 2004, 11:35 am

It might be easier to use some kind of air launcher built into the guitar, to shoot confetti. You could have a C02 cartridge and a barrel hidden in the guitar and then hit the button at the right time. Use some shiny confetti with the right lighting and it could be dramatic.

And it won't catch anyone's head on fire.

Jeff

Postby Guest » July 6th, 2004, 2:58 pm

Jeff was thinking close to what I was thinking. I suggest looking at what G Sparks offeres. He has the CO2 set up but shoots cornstarch and it looks like smoke-ish stuff, and it is safe (not to those allergic to cornstarch or if it is fired three inches from an eye or something of course).
Steve V

Postby Guest » July 6th, 2004, 5:13 pm

wow, that some kewl ideas... Anything else though? I think I need more of a churning rolling smoke than a "poof!" lol cause it's coming from inside the guitar out the sound hole and it will pass thru the strings... also is there a link to the GSparx thing? thanks everyone~ :cool:

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » July 6th, 2004, 5:50 pm

YO... contact "The Tabman" at 760 Flatwoods Road, Lebanon, TN, phone 615-444-0136 or 0171, tell him I sentcha
Stay tooned.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » July 6th, 2004, 5:51 pm

YO... contact "The Tabman" (Flatwood Studio - music and magic) at 760 Flatwoods Road, Lebanon, TN, phone 615-444-0136 or 0171, tell him I sentcha
Stay tooned.

Tabman

Postby Tabman » July 6th, 2004, 8:11 pm

thanks pete. please note that i dont have the 0136 number anymore but the (615) 444-0171 number is the one.
-=tabman
flatwood studio

Oakes

Postby Oakes » July 6th, 2004, 9:33 pm

Here are the people you want to deal with... Theatre Effects.

http://www.theatrefx.com

I've used products from both their pyrotechnic and aerotechnic lines, and it's top quality. On the issue of safety, I should mention that they have a line of products SPECIFICALLY designed for use by musicians... which I recommend instead of adapting a gimmick intended for magic use in the hands.

Here's the direct link to the page with their "rock devices"... GO

Rock on.

- Ryan

Tabman

Postby Tabman » July 7th, 2004, 6:29 am

agreed about theatre effects. adapt one of their devices. did you say what kind of guitar it is?? if its a hollow body like an es-335 or l paul maybe the smoke could come out of the sound holes??? might be kind of cool?? oh, i see you're talking about an acoustic guitar and kick drum. ought to be plenty of room in there. cool thing about the kick drum is that the smoke ought to come woofing out with each kick. like smoke signals!! keep us posted. good luck. it sounds like fun.
-=tabman

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » July 7th, 2004, 2:34 pm

I'm not sure what this was called, but at one tme the Camirand Academy of Magic sold a smoke thing that produced smoke in your hands.

Using this, your fingers and the fretboard could be smoking as you played.

Also, you could use one of those Funkenrings in your right hand, so when you do a a right hand pick slide down the fretboard, sparks fly.

Postby Guest » July 7th, 2004, 2:50 pm

I'm not sure how to get hold of G Sparks (G stands for Gary), I could go to his house but don't want to do that. I know that Hank Lee carries his stuff and Murphy's sales some of it as well. His CO2 thing doesn't put off a puff of smoke, it blast it out pretty well and it is safe as baby powder.
Steve V

Tabman

Postby Tabman » July 7th, 2004, 3:48 pm

if memory serves mickey hades had a book out some years ago called _flashes, bangs and puffs of smoke_ that pretty much outlines the fire technology. i mean , some cotton batting treated with black powder will put out some pretty thick smoke and you might be able to ignite it with a glo plug or a hot wire. im not suggesting that you do this however.

Postby Guest » July 7th, 2004, 5:33 pm

MAN WOW this theatre Effects stuff is EXACTLY what I've been looking for - this is SOOOO Cool! Thanks so Much Guys! I'll be in touch with the forum~ thanks again! :D

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”