The Trick I Do Most is....

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.

Postby Pete Biro » 12/20/02 11:22 PM

The Linking Rings closely followed by the Plumber's Sticks. :D
Stay tooned.
Pete Biro

Postby Guest » 12/21/02 10:38 AM

Sword thru neck

Postby Guest » 12/22/02 08:47 AM

Linking rings,c&r rope,triumph,

Postby Joe M. Turner » 12/22/02 02:54 PM

In stand-up settings, I use Gene Anderson's T&R newspaper and Whit Haydn's linking ring routine quite a bit. (Thanks, Gene & Whit!)

JMT
Joe M. Turner

Postby Guest » 12/22/02 04:28 PM

Joe,

Like, O.K. like I read like your review of Brad Christian's video in the December issue of Genii and like, I don't see what your deal is. I'm like,whoa doesen't he,like know cool stuff,like when he sees it?
I laughed out loud when I read this review because I too have heard what passes as english from Blainesters accosting pedestrians with a quarter they have bitten.
In the words of Woody Allen :"What I wouldn't give for a large sock with manure in it."

Pete Mills

Postby Joe M. Turner » 12/22/02 04:35 PM

I'm glad you enjoyed the review. In retrospect, I think perhaps it was a little snide... but it's just one guy's opinion. Clearly the company has developed quite a following, and I certainly don't begrudge Brian Gillis his opinion.

As for this topic... I also regularly perform "Titanic Monte," which is a very nice, easy to see jumbo monte routine.

JMT
Joe M. Turner

Postby Guest » 12/22/02 07:40 PM

I used to know Brad Christian quite well. He is originally from Toronto.
I haven't seen him for at least 20 years.

He had a very ethical approach to magic then. He was brought up in the Arcade magic shop run by Sophie and Harry Smith. Sophie would not sell anything to just anyone. You had to prove your interest in magic. She would demand 3 pieces of identification, your blood type and DNA then ask you to fill in a form detailing your knowledge of magic. If you passed this test she would then sell you the ball and vase.

I came to Toronto and showed Brad a very different approach to magic. The unethical one.

He would follow me around to department stores and watch me scamming the public out of their money. I remember the shock and horror when he used to watch. His mouth was agape in awe and wonder.

I still remember his astonishment when my young pitchman associate Terry belched all over the customers. Brad mentioned this to me. I explained that belching all over the customers is a very commendable thing for a pitchman to do. It is treating them with the contempt they deserve.
I explained that the public were merely sheep to be shorn. That they were walking about with my money in their pockets and I wanted it back.

I have now seen that he is doing quite well. I have also seen that not everyone is satisfied with his products.Saying they are overpriced or something and complaining about being gyped. I am quite proud of him. He obviously took my teaching to heart all those years ago.

That Sophie Smith ethics thing never gets you anywhere. She used to call me "the charlatan"
I have no idea why.

[censored]
www.marklewisentertainment.com

Return to Platform & Stage Magic