Kaps Sidewalk Shuffle

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.

Postby Steve Mills » 09/12/04 06:59 PM

Somehow, I've lost my Sidewalk Shuffle I got from Ken Brooke a million years ago. This was the only set, as far as I know, that you could use for the Kaps' routine, as the cards were made of plastic and the marks used in the Kaps' version could be wiped off.

Joe Stevens has the Paul Stone variation where the Ace and pips are replaced by "$". I found it lame.

Does anyone know if the normal cards can be laminated to accomplish the same thing? It would be an expensive experiment.

Thanks for any help.

Steve
Steve Mills

Postby Pete Biro » 09/12/04 07:48 PM

Laminating is not expensive. Do you have the cards? You can probably get it done cheap at a place like Kinko's.
Stay tooned.
Pete Biro

Postby Steve Mills » 09/13/04 07:32 AM

Actually, I didn't explain it very well when I said "expensive".

I have the cards, but was thinking it woul be a shame to destroy the set if the laminating didn't work.

Thanks for the help.

steve
Steve Mills

Postby Carl Mercurio » 09/13/04 08:05 AM

A great trick that I haven't done in years. Time to dust off the old cards... :cool:
Carl Mercurio

Postby Pete Biro » 09/15/04 10:55 PM

Take another card of similar construction/size to Kinkos and have it laminated to test their process.

In Hollywood, on Beverly Blvd., there is a specialty house that laminates.

I used to laminate stuff all the time at work, and if they use the right stuff, glossy and the right heat you will be fine.
Stay tooned.
Pete Biro

Postby Guest » 09/16/04 07:29 AM

Steve,

The Kaps version that Ken Brooke put out was called "The Three Card Trick With Four Cards" if memory serves. I think Joe Riding was the Creator. The cards were not Gaffed and if you could figure out the instructions it was an amazing trick. I found the instructions a bit tough to decipher.

The one Steven's sells with the $ marks is a toss on "The Side Walk Shuffle"

I think the original "Sidewalk Shuffle" is something Martin Lewis worked out with Ken Brooke.

Anyway, depending on which type of cards you have gaffed or not both tricks are still commercially available. I can tell you from personal experience that lamination and dry erase markings work a treat!

I am a busker by trade and do between 15 or 20 shows a day in all types of weather conditions. For me lamination is a must unless I want to buy new cards every week. :)

When I get them laminated I go to a local Kinkos and have them encapsulated. This is a little different than lamination because the edges are also laminated. They heat the stuff on and basically put the card in a little shell. The reason (for me) that this is so great is that straight lamination has a tendency to make the cards split through the center sandwich style after a time.

Harry Anderson did a fantastic version of the three card trick with four cards on Saturday night live back in the early 80's. I remember it floored me because when he was finished with the trick he scaled the cards into the audience! No Gaffs!

About two years ago Mr. Anderson released a no gaff version using three cards called Monte Gras. If you like the original I think this one is much stronger. I bought a set and put the trick in my street act a month later and it just slays people!

Sorry to drone on so long but I just love this trick and it sounds like you are running into some of the same things I have. I would be remiss to let a fellow magi reinvent the wheel. I hope this was helpful. :)

Best,

Dan-

P.S. Three card trick with four cards I got a copy from Hank Lee for about $10 Martin Lewis sells the sidewalk shuffle on his website for $20. It uses pips and not $.

a Giant plastic version of the trick can be found here:

http://www.topsecretmagic.co.uk/cards2.html

Postby Pete Biro » 09/16/04 09:05 AM

Martin Lewis' SIDEWALK SHUFFLE with the Fred Kaps Hanlding is one of the best all-time effects. I used it on trade show putting the company logo on the "blank" spot.

The original version that started it all was THE ONLY THREE CARD TRICK WITH FOUR CARDS, by Joe Riding. Even that had a better handline published when Kaps worked on it.
Stay tooned.
Pete Biro

Postby Guest » 09/16/04 11:04 AM

Pete,

Thanks for clearing that up. I did not know Mr. Kaps had work on both tricks.

I knew my three card trick with four cards had a handling by Mr. kaps but my Sidewalk Shuffle did not.

So, I wasn't sure which version the original poster had.

I agree that Sidewalk Shuffle is just one of the best tricks ever, period.

Best,

Dan-

Postby Guest » 10/08/04 10:33 AM

When talking about Sidewalk Shuffle, let's not forget the magnificent "Virginia City Shuffle". Strong, easy to do, consistent handling, and no gaffs. To me, the curious thing about VCS is that the method is based almost exclusively on a display, instead of a sleight. That makes the trick look as fair and relaxed as possible.

federico

Postby Guest » 10/19/04 03:20 PM

Originally posted by federico luduena:
When talking about Sidewalk Shuffle, let's not forget the magnificent "Virginia City Shuffle". Strong, easy to do, consistent handling, and no gaffs. To me, the curious thing about VCS is that the method is based almost exclusively on a display, instead of a sleight. That makes the trick look as fair and relaxed as possible.

federico
Hola Federico
NO s si te acordars de m, asist a tu taller literario en la Facultad de Psicologa de la UBA hace cosa de seis aos. Todava recuerdo tus serigrafas de Bukowski(Oda a la Cerveza), as como el gusto por los poetas malditos en general. Recuerdo que cuando te fuiste, nos quedamos todos un poco perdidos. Tal es as que nos desparramamos y no supe nada de ninguno salvo de Juana Lenk, pero hace tiempo que perd el contacto.
Me encant encontrarte, espero que ests bien. Lamento usar este foro para temas off topic, pero v tu nombre y deduje que eras vos.

Un saludo desde Espaa,

Violeta
P.D: No soy basurera y no s quin es Juan Tamariz.

federico luduena
Member # 4368

posted October 08, 2004 10:33 AM |
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

federico

Postby Guest » 12/02/04 08:47 PM

the sidewalk shuffle is one of the best tricks of all time - it was honed and perfected from the 3 card trick with 4 cards, started probably from the Harry Stanley chase the ace trick...but when Ken Brooke finally nailed it with the thicker cards and the x's written on the cards with an erasable marker.

before that he sold thinner cards with bright orange dots on them.

that was the kicker...

Ken had educated me as a teen student about the 3 card trick they used to play on the streets of London...I was a kid and would see these [censored] playing with a couple of boxes on the sidewalk on like Oxford Street and Shaftsbury Ave. I was a young magician and was thinking "I could probably win"

Ken explained that it was a team effort. The dealer always worked with accomplises. Usually a woman and a black or some people that looked different. They all clapped when somebody won.

One day I saw this 4 some on Oxford Street standing around doing the trick. Some shill put his money down and the whole team yelled police and split up..they ran down the street.

Always playing on a cardboard box....lots of clapping and yelling to attract the crowd.

Later Ken told me it was always a scam...he would see them counting their money in the pubs...probably the duck and whatever pub

so the trick was a natural extension of that....but Ken did it and explained how the x's written on the cards was so much more believable and putting the cards in your suspenders was great too.

Postby Guest » 03/25/06 02:30 PM

I agree it is one of the best tricks of all time. Most tricks are simple things and easy to do.

To do the Sidewalk Shuffle right it takes alot of practice....and you have to be a good story teller too.

Postby Pete Biro » 03/26/06 12:20 AM

I did the Kaps handling of the Sidewalk Shuffle for years (and on trade shows), but then moved to CHASE THE ACE for platform shows, and now use the Ron Bauer handling of the Gypsy Curse for close up.

All are excellent items.
Stay tooned.
Pete Biro

Postby Bob Farmer » 03/26/06 06:25 AM

The Riding and Kaps routines have similar effects but different methods. Riding's routine, "The Only Three Card Trick with Four Cards" uses regular cards -- so you can use, say, three kings and an ace (apparently).

"Sidewalk Shuffle" uses gaffed cards, and because of the method, you must use the AC and three blank cards (apparently).

I've always thought the Riding effect was superior because the cards used are so much more convincing. All that white space on the Sidewalk Shuffle cards (and on the ace) always looked too obvious to me. If you do use SS, it looks better if you run a black, felt-tip marker around the edges of the cards -- that way, when they are fanned, the audience can clearly see the edges of the cards (otherwise the fan of blanks looks like a blur).

Harry Anderson has several very good routines in his book Wiseguy.
Bob Farmer

Postby Guest » 03/26/06 09:34 PM

Stevens Magic still sells the Sidewalk Shuffle in plastic without the $$. Check the link below.

Bob Phillips

http://www.stevensmagic.com/shopping/sh ... sp?id=6236

Return to Platform & Stage Magic