The Entertainer

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.

Postby Randy » 01/31/05 12:12 PM

The "E" channel has a new reality show entitled "The Entertainer" showing on Sunday evenings. Kind of based on NBC's "The Apprentice", this is set in Las Vegas and has Wayne Newton as the host. Much like The Apprentice, Wayne is looking for the next young star (singers, dancers, comics, magician)for Vegas and he "fires" someone every week. The last person left will be crowned "The Entertainer". There are 10 contestants (well, only 9 now) and magician Nathan Burton is one of the remaining nine. I have to say, I watched the first episode and Nathan seemed to be the most professional and poised of all the others. I'll be rooting for him.
Randy

Postby Steve Hook » 01/31/05 07:49 PM

I agree 100%. Nathan was the pro on that show.

I got about 2/3 of the way through the show. It just didn't grab me. Others are better and there's only so much time. Plus some of those people are just annoying, like the female comedian. She was just plain baaaaaad.

But again, props to Nathan.
Steve Hook

Postby Randy » 02/02/05 10:47 AM

2 down and eight to go. Magician Nathan Burton is still going strong and comes off as very professional, experienced and in control.
Randy

Postby Randy » 02/09/05 02:18 PM

After 3 episodes, magician Nathan Burton is still looking like a front runner on this "E" channel reality show airing on Sunday Evenings.
Randy

Postby Curtis Kam » 02/09/05 05:44 PM

I got to watch a bunch of these back-to-back over the weekend. Now I'm hooked, too. Nathan's doing a great job, and it seems that Wayne Newton has noticed the same characteristics in Nathan that have already been mentioned here.

Seems unfair that they have so many singers, but you gotta figure that the second-best singers will be eliminated before the variety artists.

Bravo Nathan! We're with ya, dood.
Curtis Kam

Postby Guest » 02/10/05 09:32 PM

Yeah its a terrific show. I too am pulling for Nathan, and I agree, he's doing extrememly well.

I note that the tasks are actually doing a nice job at showing peoples qualities. Nathan comes off as an unpretentious, hardworking talented guy.

The prop comic is also doing well.

Now how about PAUL??? The pissy high strung narcissistic prima donna? What is UP with that guy?

Postby Randy » 02/14/05 02:50 PM

Zack, I agree about Paul. Did I miss something or didn't he get kicked off for not even showing up for one of the challenges, instead choosing to get plastered on booze. I remember him getting kicked off the show and then, all of a sudden, he's back on the next week with no explanation??? Again, did I miss something?
Randy

Postby Randy » 02/15/05 10:38 AM

Well, after last Sunday's show, there are only 7 "entertainers" left and magician Nathan Burton is still looking strong.
Randy

Postby Randy » 02/22/05 02:33 PM

It's over Johnny !!!
Magician Nathan Burton was kicked off the show on last Sunday's episode. Too bad as he seemed like the most polished and professional one on the show.
Randy

Postby Curtis Kam » 02/22/05 04:51 PM

ARGH. I missed it. What-all did he fail to do?
Curtis Kam

Postby Steve Hook » 02/22/05 07:26 PM

You're kidding!?

I'm with Curtis: Nathan had the best pro attitude and polish.

Did it have to do with the magic? He was continually thwarted along the way, rarely being able to do his most effective routines (and probably most entertaining.)

Well, congratulations, Nathan, for a great run. You're still the best on that show!

Steve H :whack: :)
Steve Hook

Postby Randy » 02/23/05 04:10 PM

His "team" lost in a contest of which team could produce and direct the best commercial to promote Las Vegas. Since his "team" only had 3 people, including him, he was put on "the block". He tried to save himself by performing "snowstorm in China" for Wayne Newton but Mr. Las Vegas sent Nathan packing. It was a shame as he really was the best on the show. Although he is gone, I bet when we look back in five years, he will be the most successful of all the others from this show. Not sure how the ditzy brunette is still there except that she is a hot piece of a...................
Randy

Postby Guest » 03/01/05 01:47 AM

He was kicked off for CHEATING. (A magician cheat???)

They were given the assignment to film a TV commercial. Nathan suggested, after his team filmed the X girls, that they take the models with them, depriving the other team of their chance.

Wayne Newton felt that that was dirty pool. It was a tough break...on the "Apprentice" a play like that would have gotten you extra points.

Postby Curtis Kam » 03/01/05 12:28 PM

Okay, so I finally caught the episode, probably the last episode for me. (Although I, too, have a perverse interest in seeing how far the dizty brunette gets.)

For the record, Nathan did not cheat. He merely suggested an idea to his teammates that some would consider cheating. (More like "advantage play" if you ask me.) They declined, and he said "okay, I can respect that". They considered it, and went on.

This, however, was the second or third time he was openly competitive, and apparently that's not a characteristic of "the Entertainer".

Frankly I suspect that they were also happy to avoid the prospect of having to compare a magician with a singer, or a comedian. Nathan's departure leaves singers to compete with singers, and two comedians to compete with eachother.
Curtis Kam

Postby Fred Zimmerman » 03/08/05 03:17 PM

Well, I'm guess I'm feeling feisty today, but what the hell...

"The Entertainer" is a game. Pure and simple. And to win it, you must come prepared to play it. This is not an audition, it's a GAME. You must leave any notion of who you are and "art for art sake" at the door.

That said, it behooves any performer--magicians included--that when entering into this kind of game, they must have in their arsenol plenty of bullet-proof material that is audience tested, audience pleasing, and can be performed with practically nothing. You must also have the full-scale stuff because this is, after all, a "Las Vegas" show.

Easy to do? No freakin' way. Could I do it? Most of it, yes, but I don't have the flashy apparatus, but then I would have competed in a totally different way. My life is auditioning for work, so I know of what I speak.

In this case, it seems that Nathan, and I use his first name respectfully because I do not know him personally, did not come fully prepared. There should never have been a time when he felt uneasy because he couldn't perform his "A" material. This should be expected every single day.

Had he prepared properly, he would have gotten a challenge, looked into his notes or his brain, and BINGO, there's the routine I need, or at least, here's the thing I need to quickly adapt.

Remember, this is a GAME. A baseball player doesn't get hit a pop fly and then go looking for "something tough, perhaps leather, to fashion into a glove to put on my hand so that I may catch it better."

If I were comic on the show, I'd have ALL my notebooks with me and would continue working daily to keep up with fresh topical stuff. I need what? 3 minutes of street stuff? No problem. I need to MC? Let me dust off some MC bits. Again, I know comics work years to get 10 quality minutes. But then, they aren't playing this GAME, remember?

If I were the singer, I'd have a complete selection of Pop, Rock, Blues, Broadway, R&B, rap, etc... Then, when the challenge came ... snap ...here it is maestro--hit it! I know dozens of poeple who could do this tomorrow if they had to.

Am I saying any of this is easy? Again, no way, but then this isn't about life here ... it's a hard, hard, game.

Do I mean this to say he is a bad magician? Certainly not, although I admit I think many of the things her performed on the show were derivitive. However, in magic, that's fairly common and admittedly, not all of my routines are totally original gems. So I'll keep away from that.

However, I repeat that I feel that he was not fully prepared to compete in a game like this. Now, I must also admit, hind-sight is 20/20, so perhaps he felt he would be working in more optimal venues. Maybe he was even promised this and, Heaven help us, the producers LIED to him. What shock.

But in this day and age of Reality TV, you can be fairly certain that when you enter a game like this, you better be prepared to perform naked, in the dark, for deaf people. (Hmmm, wintergreen lifesaver anyone?)

Should he have been voted off? Well, his performances were not all that great, but in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. Perhaps he was the best of the lot, but is that saying much?

I would like to see him work in his own milieu, performing his signature pieces. I'm sure it would be a much better show.

And so, I'm not surprised he was not kept on the show, but I am surprised at who WAS kept on the show.

Ultimately, I agree that he will most likely come out smelling like a rose on this. It may be better to fail at a dubious game like this than win by a mile against the talent-challenged.

That would certainly be a case of being damned by faint praise.

Fred Zimmerman
Fred Zimmerman

Postby Randy » 04/07/05 11:36 AM

It's over.

As thought, a singer won. His name is Delisco and he won a "millon dollar contract to appear in a Las Vegas show"............we'll see.

I still think that magician Nathan Burton was the most professional and polished of all the contestants. Oh well.
Randy

Return to Platform & Stage Magic