Multiplying Bubbles

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.

Multiplying Bubbles

Postby Guest » July 23rd, 2003, 7:35 pm

Hey, everybody,

I was speaking with an old RBBB clown buddy, and he mentioned to me an act he saw years ago; multiplying billiard balls done with transparent plastic or acrylic balls and shells...voila, multiplying bubbles.

Has anyone ever come upon clear multiplying balls? I'm aware of Vito Lupo's video with smoke-filled bubbles leading into opaque white multiplying balls...

Kindly,

Brian

Jeff Haas

Re: Multiplying Bubbles

Postby Jeff Haas » July 23rd, 2003, 10:49 pm

Brian,

Out here in Northern California, we have a small chain of stores called TAP Plastics. You can get them to make almost anything you need in acrylic; and in their stores, you can just walk in and pick up various sizes of acrylic spheres. These are good for small crystal ball routines, as well as the bit where you blow a bubble, grab it and it has become solid.

Check them out at http://www.tapplastics.com. Look on the left side under "Rods, Tubes and Shapes." You can mail-order what you need from the website.

One potential problem with clear multiplying balls might be the shell...since it's not the same as the whole balls, I'd think that anything seen through it would not distort properly, so it would look "odd" compared to the other balls.

But there are routines in the literature which don't use a shell; if you went that direction, then you'd just need to pick up some of the balls and start experimenting.

Jeff

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » July 23rd, 2003, 11:46 pm

Jeff is correct about the solid balls not having the same appearance as the shell. In addition to using a "shell-less" routine, this can be counteracted by utilizing hollow balls or by carefully selecting the background. Many backgrounds will not accent this change in optical properties.
Jim

Mike Rose

Postby Mike Rose » July 24th, 2003, 5:40 am

Some years back (more than 10) I purchased a set of "Multiplying Bubbles" from Abbotts Magic. The set consisted of three clear acrylic balls and a shell. The balls were not solid, but basically two shells that had been glued together. This made them appear optically the same as the shell, but had the disadvantage of having a seam where the two halves were joined. I dont know if Abbotts still sells this set, but if interested its worth a call.

Mike Rose

Postby Guest » July 24th, 2003, 4:39 pm

Thank you, gentlemen,

The prompt and helpful replies are appreciated. I'll let everyone know how the prop search/construction is coming along.

Kindly,

Brian

Glenn Farrington

Postby Glenn Farrington » August 5th, 2003, 10:24 pm

I own a beautiful set of multiplying soap bubbles. 4 clear bubbles and a shell. All made out of glass. They are gorgeous and keep them on a shelf. Not the kind of set you want to drop.
Comedy's Easy...Dying Sucks.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » August 6th, 2003, 9:22 am

Fred Kaps used Multiplying Soap Bubbles in an act many years ago... a beautiful routine for sure. :genii:
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » August 6th, 2003, 5:19 pm

There is a published routine that takes a different tack than merely multiplying the bubbles. It is called Bubble Magic, and it is in an old booklet called Applause by Senor Mardo.

Jon

Postby Guest » February 15th, 2007, 2:05 pm

Actually there appears to be 3 different versions available to the best of my knowledge...

The set that apparently has been available from Abbott's for quite some time which is rather pricy at $50 but possibly with good reason...

http://abbottmagic.com/catalog/index.ph ... 5e659d32ea

The new set from Vernet which is $18...
http://www.heyprestomagic.com.au/ezimer ... rod407.htm

Last but not least, what appears to be the set that Magic Effex was going to release awhile back but is now available from another manufacturer called Trick Productions for $9.99...

http://www.trickproduction.com/images/m ... newest.jpg

I ordered all 3 sets and will review them when they arrive for anyone who might be interested.

Postby Guest » February 19th, 2007, 7:11 pm

Just FYI Jason Michaels (2nd place close-up IBM & SAM 2005) is doing a multiplying bubble manip routine. He started with the Punx bubble set. He also had several sets custom made.

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”