Remote Show Control - updated

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.
Jeff Haas

Remote Show Control - updated

Postby Jeff Haas » June 1st, 2003, 3:00 am

I've been catching up on some projects, and one of them is my web page that describes how to set up a laptop, so you can trigger music cues in a one-man show.

So, if you're interested in how to add production value to your show using a laptop you may already have, with the addition of an RF remote and free or inexpensive software, go to:

http://members.tripod.com/remotelaptop/

It's been updated to include more information, more resources, and current links to useful stuff on the web.

Jeff

Jim Riser

Re: Remote Show Control - updated

Postby Jim Riser » June 1st, 2003, 1:00 pm

Jeff;
This is one of the most useful bits of info I've seen lately. My thanks to you for digging up all of the necessary components and making them easy for others to get through your web site. Excellent!!!
Jim

Jeff Haas

Postby Jeff Haas » June 1st, 2003, 11:00 pm

Jim,

Thanks for the kind words. I've been using the system for a few years now, and it's been a big success.

I've got some more content to add to it, possibly later this week.

Jeff

Jeff Haas

Postby Jeff Haas » June 5th, 2003, 7:44 pm

I've added one more section to the site, this time about random-access cues. This should be of interest to people trying shows with more ambitious sound cues.

Unless I figure out something else with the system, that's it for now.

Jeff

Postby Guest » June 5th, 2003, 8:24 pm

Jeff,
Thanks for making that information available. I've been using Key RF & Winamp for about a year to run my music and I couldn't be happier.

This is an excellent alternative for the really expensive mini disc systems out there. And L3 Systems is a great company to work with.

Ben S.

Jeff Haas

Postby Jeff Haas » June 6th, 2003, 10:21 am

Ben,

You're welcome!

It's always great to hear that someone else is having success with the setup.

Make sure to take a look at the new section on random-access cues...if you're doing a show with other people, it gives you some good options for certain types of routines.

Jeff

Jeff Haas

Postby Jeff Haas » August 13th, 2003, 1:37 am

A couple of updates to the Remote Show Control site...

- ShowPro MIDI is available again. This is the lowest-cost, best-capable show control software available (that I've found.) I've put the link back.

- A bit more info on show control as a complete subject, including a link to the homepage of the author of the first book on the subject.

- No more frames!

Check it out.

http://members.tripod.com/remotelaptop

Jeff

Jeff Haas

Postby Jeff Haas » November 3rd, 2003, 10:05 pm

Hi guys...a few new updates to the Remote Show Control site.

- A page of Tips on configuring Winamp.

- A link to Stage Research, who makes SFX show control software -- and their library of case studies of SFX in use in many different shows. Facinating reading!

And one interesting change on Tripod...they now seem to have some sort of intelligent ad placement software. This means that there are a few boxes of ads that run across the top of each page of the site. What's impressive is that the ads are based on the content of each individual page!

For example, on one page I discuss buy-out (royalty free) music. There are ads for companies that offer this on the top of that page, and no others in the site! I also mention David Copperfield's use of music...and there's an ad for tickets to Las Vegas shows. Sometimes it mentions David Copperfield, sometimes Lance Burton.

Jeff

Oakes

Postby Oakes » November 4th, 2003, 8:09 pm

Let me just throw another option into the mix, as this is a topic I've recently been researching a great deal.

A company now makes an IR remote for the Apple iPod, which is a fantastic little machine if you're unfamiliar with it. If you already own an iPod, you can get the remote for a mere $50...

Here's the direct link through: The Apple Store

Since it's IR, you need to point the remote at the iPod, however depending on your cues, you could just leave the remote on your table (pointing towards the iPod), or pull it out and hit play. Just another option...

Ryan Oakes

Shawn Preston

Postby Shawn Preston » November 26th, 2003, 10:07 am

Jeff,
Thanks for all your work on this stuff. I am anxiously working on incorporating my powerbook into my show. I am working on a script for iTunes that will do all the appropriate functions with one key command. I have also worked with the developer of MPlay to create built in fades. He has instituted this into a beta version of his player. I would highly recommend this player to all Mac users interested in controlling their music with a powerbook or and ibook. Check out the beta version at
http://www.deepniner.net/mplay/BINARY/MPLAY_BETA.HQX (Carbon version)
http://www.deepniner.net/mplay/BINARY/MPLAYOS9_BETA.HQX (OS9-only version)

MPlay is cheap for its capabilities. I will let everryone know when I get the iTunes script working.

Best wishes
Shawn
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. - Einstein

Jeff Haas

Postby Jeff Haas » November 26th, 2003, 10:17 am

Shawn,

Thanks! You're filling in the one gap that I can't, the Mac section. Once you get it finalized, please let me know and I can add the info to the site.

Jeff

Return to “Platform & Stage Magic”