Tabman's finger exercises

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

Postby Bill Wheeler » 01/24/05 08:28 PM

Has anyone else continued doing the finger exercises Tabman told the Genii forum about a while ago?

I attribute those exercises with helping me finally being able to do the coin rolldown flourish with my left hand ... it isn't smooth yet, but first things first.

Alan Kennedy Center Deal here I come ;)
Driver: Callaway FT-5
Irons: Titlest AP-1
Wedges: Vokey 52,58,64
Putter: i-series Black #9
Bill Wheeler

Postby Don » 01/24/05 10:31 PM

im curious. what was he talking about? sounds interesting.

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » 01/25/05 07:34 AM

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Eric Rose » 01/25/05 10:29 AM

I have been doing the Tabman/Cowling exercises since I found the post. Very good results so far. Flexibility is up and the cards feel better in my hands - more natural. I started working on my riffle pass and was amazed at how much faster I was doing it. I also noticed yesterday that I was able to play my daughter's violin much better - individual fingering was very easy.

I recommend anyone that wants to try these stick with them for a couple weeks before giving up. I printed them out and keep them on my desk as a reminder.

Eric Rose

Postby Guest » 01/25/05 02:10 PM

This is slightly off subject... But does anyone else suffer from regular hand cramps. I am always practicing and my hands develop soreness and cramping and I have to stop practicing for a week and rest them to get cramps to stop. ... On a side note I Find regular streching the hands and wrist is vital to increasing dexterity... but even stretching hasn't been helping. Any suggestions... any supplements, vitamens, weird voodoo rituals?

Postby Guest » 01/25/05 02:34 PM

Mike, if you're getting cramps in your hands severe enough that you need a week off to recover, you might want to let a doctor know about it. I'll sometimes practice so much I end up with pressure sores on my fingers, but I've never gotten cramps like what you're describing.

Postby Tabman » 01/25/05 04:01 PM

Originally posted by Eric Rose:

I recommend anyone that wants to try these stick with them for a couple weeks before giving up.

That's it. Once you get in the groove with them your hands will remind you to do them. I've been doing them for years around this same time of day. I'm happy to hear that you're getting good results.

I think I'll raise the jug and give a toast to Mr. Pickles right now!!! and maybe again later!!!

Postby Pete McCabe » 01/25/05 04:03 PM

First off, make sure you don't practice the same move too much in one sitting. It's not good for your hands, and it's not good for your learning and muscle memory either.

Try to alternate contractive moves (i.e. the classic palm) with expansive moves (i.e. backpinch). This should help considerably.
Pete McCabe

Postby Guest » 01/27/05 07:34 AM

Thank you for your reply's on the hand cramping. I think I'm going to take Jim's recomendation and see a doctor. I've been doing magic since I was 9 and all of my palms and moves have been worked to the point the require very little pressure and effort to perform... my hands are relaxed. I think it could be repetative stress syndrom or mabey carpel... God I hope not! Anyway I'll let you know what he says... He's one of my Magic Clients anyway. Thanks guys.

Return to Close-Up Magic