Just a Question....

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

Postby Guest » 02/04/02 06:03 PM

Hello Everyone...

I have been a magician for around 8 years, and like to create my own, and figure out effects. Don't worry, I am not just some young wannabe that just wants to rip off magicians, I buy tricks, books, videos from my local magic shop, and on the net all of the time. I always enjoy a challenge, and lately havent had many ideas. I am not a beginner, but was wondering...Could anyone give me some ideas, or the starting of a method, or anything that I could build on? I love to try to figure things out, and then perfect them. I am only 15 years old, but do no, I repeat, do not turn you down. I am a true magician, with true values and priorities. I feel that magic methods should NOT be disclosed on the net, whicha they are all of the time, I would like to see those people kicked in the but frankly. Well, enough rambling, I just wanted to know if anyone could give me like " a project " to work on. I should be fairly difficult, ( Like, I have made my own shrinking card case, dissapearing card case, etc.)

Well, thanks in advance!

Your Friend In MAGIC,

Corey magictrickss@netscape.net

Postby Guest » 02/23/02 05:52 AM

Without more to go on...how about perfecting your pass. Or making a double look like a single EVERY TIME. Not saying you can't do those things, but you didn't really tell us much.

Postby Pete McCabe » 02/23/02 02:48 PM

Corey,

Here's the most difficult thing I've ever invented. It's so difficult I don't do it myself. When it works it is absolutely stunning. But even after a couple of months of sustained practice (many years ago) I just could not get it to work consistently.

But you're 15 and I'm 41. Maybe if you start practicing now you can get it to work before you reach my age :-)

It's a coin vanish designed to mimic the Raven but with no gimmicks. Here's how:

Hold your left hand out palm up and lay a quarter on your palm. The flat, palm down right hand now brushes over the coin from right to left. As it does, it pushes the coin off the hand towards the thumb. As the right and covers the left thumb, the left thumb moves away from the hand so the coin can slide between thumb and hand. The coin ends up essentially backclipped by the thumb as the right hand turns over to reveal the vanish.

WARNING: practicing this trick can really hurt your wrist. For all I know it can cause repetitive stress injury or carpal tunnel syndrome. Please use common sense when practicing.

That said, the hardest part is getting the coin into a perfect back-thumb-clip position without any of the coin showing from the front. The second hardest is getting the timing right so the left thumb's movement is covered by the right hand.

But when it works, it's the most magical coin vanish I've ever seen.

If Corey or anyone else can make this work by all means do whatever you want with it.
Pete McCabe

Postby Sean Piper » 02/23/02 05:16 PM

Hi Corey,

It sounds as though you have great respect for the art, and want to be the best you can be. You should be commended for that. I always like to see people challenging themsleves.

One path you may like to venture into is 'Card Problems'. Various sites offer different problems to be figured out, and most are updated at least once a month. Occassionally you can even win something for your solutions.

Here's a couple of the better places to find these problems:

Connoisseur Conjuring - You'll need to become a member to view these, but it's probably worth it.

Online Visions - A huge archive of various problems to be solved. Very good!

I should also mention that half the fun of reading these problems, is finding out other people's solutions. It can be very beneficial to be exposed to other ways of looking at solutions.

Hope this helps!
Sean Piper

Postby Pete Biro » 02/23/02 11:33 PM

Learn to sleeve so it doesn't look like that's what you are doing.
Stay tooned.
Pete Biro

Postby Matthew Field » 02/24/02 09:53 AM

Originally posted by Pete Biro:
Learn to sleeve so it doesn't look like that's what you are doing.

As usual, Pete Biro has hit the nail on the head. You could make a career with this -- look at Rocco and Carl Cloutier.

It is important, I believe, to keep challanges in one's life. I'm off for a week's vacation in Florida's South Beach and I'm taking along my buddy Simon Lovell's new book on the Push-Off Second Deal. Now that's a challange that should keep me busy for a few years!

Matt Field
Matthew Field

Postby Pete Biro » 02/24/02 10:04 AM

Is the push off 2nd as good as a necktie?

And don't forget the famed Paul Diamond "Cockroach Pass."

These are the REAL WORLD tools!
:D
Stay tooned.
Pete Biro

Postby Jon Allen » 02/24/02 05:59 PM

I prefer chad Long's 'Golf Pass'.

Wonderful to behold.

Jon
Jon Allen

Postby Bill Mullins » 02/24/02 10:31 PM

Originally posted by Matthew Field:

I'm taking along my buddy Simon Lovell's new book on the Push-Off Second Deal.

Tell me more ... I've got his second dealing notes; is this what you're talking about, or has he expanded them??

Bill Mullins
Bill Mullins

Postby Guest » 02/26/02 02:44 PM

Learning to perfect a topit is a big challange. I've been working on that one for years and i only use a topit to clean up after one effect and a box of cards switch.

If you watch Ammar or Cloutier you'll instantly understand the pure magic you can create.

that or the pass ;)

Postby Guest » 02/28/02 05:09 PM

Well Guys,

Thanks alot for your help, another favor I may ask, which would help me tremendously, is if anyone could provide we with good material, or advice on the pass...I have been doing the classic, or normal pass for about a month, and it seems I must do it in times when I misdirect the spec. The way I am doing it feels sort of unnatural, and not something I can do undercover naturally. One more note, I recently read about the trick "Triumph" by Vernon. I started to read it somewhere about a month ago, but did not get to read after, and a few days ago tried it, not really knowing what I was doing. I know that it requires a false shuffle, and I was wondering about any material on a good false shuffle, I can false cut fairly well, and a number of ways, and can only do a false shuffle by stripping the cards (halves) away from each other, which must be done under cover, and I really can't accomplish it that well. What I am asking is if anyone that knows of these things could help me out with the effect (what exactly happens (how many shuffles, cuts, etc), and if you could help me with a false shuffle. Well, if anyone can help, It would be greatly appreciated, and I will repay you anyway possible (other than money...for now anyways, until I can get a job...). Thanks in advance,

Corey Herndon

Postby Pete Biro » 02/28/02 05:15 PM

Triumph shuffle is simple... get the book and study it... However if you want one of the best works on false shuffling get the Zarrow Shuffle video from Meyer Yedid... A MUST MUST MUST HAVE... :p
Stay tooned.
Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » 02/28/02 05:16 PM

also... MISDIRECTION is far more important to learn than any move... altho I think Tommy Wonder calls it "DIRECTION" which makes more sense. :p
Stay tooned.
Pete Biro

Postby Guest » 02/28/02 07:44 PM

Corey,
To do a pass well requires a lot of practice and even after you have gotten it down, you still need to keep up with practice to keep it in good shape. Try to learn several so that you have options to fall on for different needs that may arise. I use a classic pass, a turn-over pass, a spread pass and sometimes my own spreadless spread pass.

You may find that after many days/nights of white nuckle practice with the pass (until your hands start to cramp) that if you leave it alone for a week and go back to it, that it improves even more. (Strange but true).
As for "triumph", it is a great effect with many variations floating around. Paul Harris' "Gambler vrs. Mentalis vrs. Magician" is a fun and easy one to do as is John Bannon's "Play It Straight" which is a real mind blower. Daryl has one in a seperate manuscript called "Double Dazzler Triumph" which is an excellent opener (only requires a Zarrow Shuffle which is not that difficult a sleight) and as you read/learn more, you will find numerous other variations on the theme and several that will become favorites of yours I am sure. Hope that helps,

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
http://www.mindguy.com

Postby Guest » 02/28/02 11:20 PM

Corey,

The original Triumph can be found in the Original Stars of Magic which is a fine book and a must have if you do not have it already.

I learned the version I currently perform from a Frank Garcia book. But that version is probably not originally Frank's. It's the Vernon routine with the Daryl display.

BTW, I have to disagree with Mr. Halberstat. The Zarrow is slightly difficult sleight. I've seen quite a few butchered Zarrow Shuffles under a one card cover. I believe that it is easier to get a good looking push through than a Zarrow. Learn both and draw your own conclusions.

Here's something to master. Holding a deck of cards with a light touch. Lately, I've seen many young magicians perform crazy multipacket false cuts. But when it comes to handling just the deck they hold it with a death grip. Especially when they're about to handle a double. You should hold the deck like a bird. Firm enough so it won't fly away. But gentle enough so you don't crush it.

Best regards,
Rich Kameda

Postby Guest » 03/02/02 08:54 PM

Well guys, thanks again!!!

Unfourtanetly, at the moment, I am low on funds, and my birthday is a few months away, to get a job, and/or ask for things. I am not nessacarily asking for the method for triumph, just the effect, so I can work on what I can until I have the money to buy books and videos. I am a person that is devoted to the trick I am trying to learn. I used to be (when I was about 12/13 years old), very anxious to do the trick, rip it out of the box, throw aside the instuctions...you get the idea, now days, I definetly get what I am doing down...as close to perfects as I can...So, like I said, if anyone has any "free advice" or pages from a book they can scan, anything that can help me in this time of not having a job...Thanks Again...A million!,

Corey

Postby Guest » 03/03/02 02:33 AM

Corey,

My best free advice is:

Get off the GENII FORUM and EARN the book or tape you wish to own. I'll bet within two days you could do $40 worth of odd jobs with just a bucket of water, a rag, and some soap. After you're done you'll have your own quality book or tape and feel good about it.

So, I'm curious, what book are you going to buy next week?

All my best, Steve

P.S. Scanning copyrighted material and sending it over the internet is ILLEGAL and is behavior that should be avoided.

Postby Guest » 03/05/02 09:38 AM

Dear Steve,

I suggest, that you reply with either help from the topic I started, or take it outside of this topic...I am sure you have NEVER been in this position, at 15, nor do you know my status such as were I live to get to do jobs, my health-which is fairly bad, or any thing else about me. Please do not critisize, by thinking you know my position. I have had a number of people, prestigious people, such as a person from the staff at TheMagicCafe, and other professionals copy things for me. I am sure it goes on everyday, and if you are not someone to help somebody, not even with free advice, but with criticism, than WHAT KIND OF MAGICIAN ARE YOU? Maybe you need to review this question, and realize who you are, and who you should be as a magician.

Yours,

Corey

Postby Guest » 03/05/02 07:27 PM

Dear Corey,

I sincerely apologize for hurting your feelings. That was not my intention.

When you asked for scanned material I did take it upon myself to let you know the law. (Perhaps my other advice was a little more than I should have said. Please forgive me.)

Let me, instead, encourage you to keep searching for new ideas--(Who knows? Maybe I'll be as giving as Mr. McCabe in the future?) I hope your health improves and I also hope you pursue your dreams and become the best you can be. I look forward to your interaction on this Forum and to being your friend.

Respectfully,

Steve

Postby Guest » 03/06/02 12:21 PM

Hey Matt,

Did you mean to say that Cloutier and Rocco have made careers trying to learn to sleeve so it doesn't look like they are? :D

Mark :)

Postby Guest » 03/07/02 12:26 PM

Hey Steve!,

I am sorry too about that comment. I really like this forum, since it is devoted to the pasteboards, and I would like to be your friend, and a provider, not only a reciever from this forum. Thank you,

Corey

Postby Matthew Field » 03/07/02 02:37 PM

Originally posted by thinair:
Hey Matt,

Did you mean to say that Cloutier and Rocco have made careers trying to learn to sleeve so it doesn't look like they are? :D

Mark :)

Hiya, Mark. Uh, maybe that's what I meant. But you know what I intended. That's what makes being a book editor fun, right?

Hope you and Karen are well. Are you coming to NY for the SAM 100th?

Matt Field
Matthew Field

Postby Guest » 03/07/02 04:00 PM

Steve,
Why would you ever apologize to this kid who appears to contradict himself all over the place.
Hey kid,
Your opening monologue states you "buy books, tricks and videos all the time on the net and in shops", how could you even suggest pirating books on a site where Richard Kaufman runs the show?
Where in the world did you read Triumph that you couldn't learn from the text?
Who are these "professionals" and members of the Magic Cafe that are copying for you?
Is it just me, or is there something irksome and insincere here.

[ March 07, 2002: Message edited by: ChrisDavid ]

Postby Guest » 03/08/02 02:27 AM

Hey Matt,
Greetings from Copenhagen. Karen & I won't be able to come to NYC for SAM. We're doing a show in Tokyo as it turns out. We had planned on entering the contest so that we wouldn't be magic "unknowns" any longer. Hope you're doing well.

Mark

Postby Guest » 03/08/02 08:27 AM

HEY! Who are you calling an "unknown?" We were on Marketplace for gosh sake! As you know EVERYONElistens to that! ;) :D

(is this off topic? Sorry Corey)

Return to Close-Up Magic