what's that gaff called?

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

Postby Brad A._dup1 » 02/24/02 10:53 PM

I'm trying to find a type of gaffed deck, I just don't know what it's called.

Perhaps one you of you could assist?

I need packet (maybe 10 cards) which are all indifferent on one pip, and they are all the same on the opposite pip. So, it is seen if looking at the "top" of the card as the four of hearts; however, the "bottom" is the six of hearts...etc.

Is there a name for this?
Former Vonnegut Character
Brad A._dup1
Posts: 224
Joined: 07/16/01 12:00 PM
Location: Berkeley, CA

Postby Guest » 02/24/02 10:59 PM

Sounds like Chris Kenworthy's Mastermind Deck. Charles Reynold's force deck might also fit the bill.
PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat

Postby Guest » 02/24/02 11:09 PM

I agree it is Kenworthys deck though it was invented I believe by a Japanese magician , the effect is fan a deck and show all different, place deck facedown and have spectator touch any card, you pick up card using your finger to cover indifferent corner and show that it matches your prediction.It is a great trick but a little pricey...

Postby John Pezzullo » 02/25/02 02:45 AM


I'd suggest contacting Neil Lester of 'Cards By Martin'. He should be able to supply you with the necessary gaffed cards. His URL is:


Regarding Chris Kenworthey's 'Mastermind', Jeff Busby published a review in "Epoptica" (Number 8 - March 1987):

"The effect that Kenworthey has created is a new application of a gaffed deck invented and marketed in limited quantity by Japan's Haruhito Hirata a few years ago. The deck has been impossible to find."

[ February 25, 2002: Message edited by: John Pezzullo ]
John Pezzullo
Posts: 455
Joined: 03/16/08 05:19 AM

Postby Eric Rose » 02/25/02 03:15 AM

Check out Bruce Bernstein's products. http://members.aol.com/bbxx1/index.html
Eric Rose
Posts: 245
Joined: 02/08/08 01:00 PM
Location: Franklin, Indiana

Return to Close-Up Magic