"You will fool yourself"

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

Postby Guest » 12/20/05 10:52 PM

You frequently hear that, but doesn't actually happen much.

I got around to trying "Last Man Standing" from Dear Mr. Fantasy, by John Bannon. It's an in-the-hands Triumph effect using a concept called the Goodwin-Jennings display.

I followed the directions, riffled, turned the cards over, riffled again, and said to myself "That can't be right, I must have ACTUALLY mixed them 'face-up and face-down.'" And I went to unweave them...imagine my surprise. This is good.

Postby Guest » 12/21/05 06:23 AM

I like "Last Man Standing" quite a bit and would add that Dear Mr. Fantasy is brimming with excellent material.

John was kind enough to post up a write up of "Last Man Standing" over at my forums and it acts as an excellent "sampler" for his excellent book Dear Mr. Fantasy.

The routine (and some discussion of it) can be found here for those interested.

Those wanting more of John's excellent magic are strongly encouraged to buy this superb book, which can be found at all major dealers or can be purchased directly from John himself

Postby Jeff Haas » 12/21/05 11:49 AM

I've used this routine for the public since John published an earlier version in his lecture notes a few years back. It's really strong!
Jeff Haas

Postby Guest » 12/21/05 06:26 PM

Dear Mr. Fantasy is a beautiful book loaded with great effects! I love the ace assemblies and Dead Reckoning is just a wonderful effect to baffle fellow magicians with, if you get around to actually learning it!

The parts where the book reads like a novel, I didnt really care for... The effects are good but I prefer when it's all laid out for you to see and learn.

All in all; recommended!

Seb

Postby Steve Bryant » 12/21/05 08:15 PM

Speaking of John Bannon, don't overlook his Smoke and Mirrors, which Richard recently republished. (I inexplicably missed out on the book the first time around.) It's loaded with terrific magic. I was hard-pressed to find a card trick in it that WON'T go into my active repertoire. Like most of Dear Mr. Fantasy, great magic, easy to do.
Steve Bryant

Postby Guest » 12/22/05 07:14 AM

Yes the Goodwin-Jennings display is magnificent. Actually Joshua Jay refers to this display as the "one and only" triumph display - by that he means the most convincing.

Well the original Vernon Triumph shuffle is great and needs no improvement, however its best on a table. An in the hands version the Goodwin-Jennings display is a great method, but I sometimes prefer the slop shuffle especially if I have spectators at some distance. The Goodwin Jennings display is extremely convincing in a close up situation but I personally find that the slop shuffle is more visible and convincing to spectators who sits and watch from the distance.

Postby Guest » 01/02/06 04:56 PM

The "Tilt" display that can be found in Paul Harris' Color Stunner is another move of this variety that is worth anyones study. When David Williamson does it in his routine "The Fuller Colour Stunner", it's a real fooler!

Another excellent display in Triumph related effects is Paul Cummins' in his Punken Droker routine. The first one shows the cards interlaced and the second shows them interlaced as they are squared up one by one.

Postby Larry Barnowsky » 01/09/06 06:47 PM

It's a fine book but the best effect in it is a nearly self-working effect called "Degrees of Freedom". The topological folding procedure to reset the Hummer Parity mixing is brilliant and IMO worth the price of the book. The mathematics behind it is actually quite simple, but it is disguised so well in the apparent arbitrary folding over of rows and columns of cards that the spectator has complete control over, yet has no impact on the final result. :genii:
The Book of Destiny
barnowskymagic.com
Larry Barnowsky

Postby Guest » 01/09/06 07:46 PM

For lovers of "Degrees of Freedom," you may like to know that, since the dealing into piles (before the folding) is done with a 4 x 5 grid, you don't have to use the "snake" dealing, you can just deal four rows of five cards, left to right. Small point, I know. This is a great trick.

Postby Larry Barnowsky » 01/11/06 03:24 PM

Good point Pete. As long as one dimension of the array is odd and one is even (4x5, 5x6 etc.) you don't have to use the snake deal. If each dimension is even (4x4, 4x6 etc.) than you have to use the snake deal so odd numberes cards will lie next to even ones in adjacent columns or rows.
The Book of Destiny
barnowskymagic.com
Larry Barnowsky

Return to Close-Up Magic