Face Up Ambitous Card

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

Postby Guest » 01/18/02 04:02 PM

I have an effect that requires the use of a a single signed red backed card in a blue deck. (its face up ambitous card routine)

However, the single red back is really blue as well and red/black double backer is used in the overall effect.

I need a good reason to change the red card blue so I can hand it out at the end.

I have played with having a prediction card in my pocket that is blue and showing that I predicted card AND it has a signature.

In Strong Magic, Darwin talks about cleaning up too much and using possible effects just because you can. But I really want to hand out the signed card as a souvinir.

What can I do.

Postby Curtis Kam » 01/18/02 07:20 PM

NJJ:

Interesting premise. Here's one quick idea for a solution to your problem:

1. Start the routine (as I presume you do) by having a card selected from a red deck to be the signed ambitious card.

2. Demonstrate the card's penchant for attracting attention to itself by repeated rising to the top of the deck, face up, no less.

3. End by claiming "It will even do this in its own deck" and quickly and visually bring the card face up from the middle to the top of the Red deck.

4. Add, "...but to really stand out in this deck, it would have to have a different colored back!" Reveal the off-color back to end.

I like this approach because it emphasizes the whole rationale behind the "ambitious stranger" idea in the first place, i.e. the card is special, and making it stand out both matches the theme and strengthens the impossibility. maybe you'll like it, too?
Curtis Kam

Postby Guest » 01/18/02 10:22 PM

I only use one blue deck and the one card they choose has red back.

I like the stranger idea though and it could be adjusted to suit the effect as it stands.

Thanks

Return to Close-Up Magic