'Dirty Tricks' by Paul Curry

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

Postby Guest » 06/12/07 02:54 PM

Hi all,

I have given up trying to track down an effect called 'Dirty Tricks' by Paul Curry. It was marketed in the 70's and seems to me to be based on 'The Case Of The Missing Hat' from 'Magician's Magic'. What I wish to know is whether or not this effect was ever published in one of Paul Curry's books? I have a slight hunch it may have been described in the book 'Paul Curry Presents' but do not know for sure. Can anyone help me out?

All the best,

Joe

Postby Guest » 06/12/07 03:46 PM

As far as I'm aware it was only sold as a separate manuscript, and it's not in "Paul Curry Presents", "Special Effects" or "Worlds Beyond". You're right in thinking it's based on the effect from "Magician's Magic" (1965), although in the manuscript Curry says the original version was from 1963. The patter theme for Dirty Tricks is completely different, and I believe it has an extra climax.

Postby Guest » 06/12/07 08:00 PM

Through the magic of Google I was able to find the following from an eBay description:

PAUL CURRY PRESENTS " DIRTY TRICKS " Copyright 1976

EFFECT : The effect involves a story about a political election in a samll town where the Republicans hired four tought Republicans from another town to kidnap one of the Democrats. You demonstrate the story.

A spectator counts the cards. There are 10 Donkeys and 10 Elephants. This, you explain, is the situation before the voting starts. Then, the kidnapping takes place. You demonstrate this by sliding one of the Donkey cards to one side and burying it in with the kidnappers,( the extra 4 Elephant cards that are off to one side.) Continuing your story, you say that the Democrats quickly learned what had happened, but couldn't discover where the missing Democrat was being held. However, one of the Democrats was a magician who promised to work things out so that there would again be a tie vote, but stressed that he wouldn't tell anyone how he did it because magicians never reveal their secrets. At this point you assume the role of the magician in the story and direct the spectator. One by one you have him pair off the Elephant and Donkey cards. At the finish there is again a 10 to 10 tie vote despite the fact that the spectator controlled the cards throughout and did the counting.

The second climax comes when, as you continue the story, the baffled Republicans demand an explanation from the 4 kidnappers on why they failed to make off with 1 of the Democrats. The kidnappers insisted that they had done their job..but when the "5" cards that were placed aside ( 4 Elephants & 1 Donkey ) are examined it is discovered that the Donkey card has vanished ! You finish by admitting that even you are puzzled by what the magician accomplished !

This is typical Paul Curry GENIUS. Cards are brand new..Very detailed instruction booklet and a card wallet included.

It sold last April and can be found here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... &rd=1&rd=1

You might send a note to the buyer and see if he's interested in selling.

Postby Bob Farmer » 06/13/07 08:11 AM

I looked up the original trick in MAGICIAN'S MAGIC -- it's a great idea that would make a wonderful children's effect with giant cards. This version uses ten top hats and ten magicians.
Bob Farmer

Postby Guest » 06/13/07 10:28 AM

Hi again,

Thanks for the responses. It helps knowing it isn't in 'Paul Curry Presents'. I bought a copy of that book about 7 weeks ago and I think it has been lost in the post.

Everyone should check out this trick, or the original (The Case Of The Missing Hat). The method is so deceptive that it will fool you the first couple of times that you practice it...

All the best,

Joe

Postby Guest » 06/18/07 02:05 PM

I own the original trick "PAUL CURRY PRESENTS " DIRTY TRICKS " Copyright 1976". It was sold with 12 red elephants (red back , Fox Lake), 12 black donkeys (blue backs) and one double face card elephant/donkey.

Curry wrote: "...I published my original version in 1963 using the theme of magicians and a missing top hat..."

Return to Close-Up Magic