Why does everyone pick 22?

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

Postby Guest » 04/27/06 09:24 AM

I recently go a Lincoln Boon. Excellent device.

I'm new to this field, and am having an interesting repsonse to a number prediction.

After my reveal of a 2 digit number I often get:

"Why does everyone pick 22*"

Any ideas on how to combat this?

*Or whatever the number is

Postby Pete Biro » 04/27/06 11:02 AM

I have never had anyone pick 22... ever. Although I have been asked to juggle 22 balls. :D
Stay tooned.
Pete Biro

Postby Guest » 04/27/06 11:19 AM

Originally posted by Pete Biro:
Although I have been asked to juggle 22 balls. :D
Me too. In my line of work, that's a football team medical exam [ahem] :eek:

Postby Guest » 04/28/06 02:03 AM

I have never had anyone pick 22... ever. Although I have been asked to juggle 22 balls. :D
To The Beatles?

;)

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » 04/28/06 06:21 AM

Originally posted by mrgoat:
[b] I have never had anyone pick 22... ever. Although I have been asked to juggle 22 balls. :D
To The Beatles?

;) [/b]
I believe he used "Help!" :)

-Jim
Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Guest » 04/28/06 10:38 AM

have 2 people help. Ask one to write down what they think the number will be.
you then " write down" what you think it will be.
If the writer also happens to write down 22, then wow. Build on the fact that everyone picks 22.

then..Ask them to think/write of another number. Not 22, ( because everyone thinks...)
A clear case of repitition improving an effect. But only do that bit if they do happen to both pick 22.

Postby Pete Biro » 04/28/06 11:24 AM

Not to, with :D :p :D
Stay tooned.
Pete Biro

Postby NCMarsh » 04/28/06 12:29 PM

One solution is to repeat/use multiple spectators. I would also not contradict the spectators when they ask...remember the key to improv: "yes, and..."

Also, be clear about what the theatrical mechanism of the effect is. Are you seeing the future? Is your understanding of human nature so deep that you are able to accurately know the factors that go into the decision of a "random" number...If the latter is the case, there is nothing wrong with going for an "honest" answer and giving them the reasons you put down the number you did.

I would also look at the relative strength of the rest of your repertoire. If you are doing work that reads as "charming, entertaining tricks" and, you throw in something that feels like direct mindreading, the context of the rest of your act points the audience to a more banal solution. If you hit them with mind-altering miracle after mind-altering miracle -- they are much less likely to suppose that "everyone just picks the same number..."

But, again, if you're getting this question; the key to turning it into an entertaining "moment" is not to contradict the audience. Have the complete inner conviction that everyone always picks 22. "I don't know why, it just works every time. Think of a number..." as you begin to repeat the effect...there should be some comic tension when you've just said 'they think of it every time,' and you ask someone to think of a number. Hit it, riff on the result...maybe hit it again...just feel out the audience and have fun with them...

If you're feeling particularly wicked, rather than repeating, you might say "I don't know why, it just works every time..try it yourself next time you want to impress someone."

Best,

N.
OrlandoCorporateMagician.com Orlando Magician
NCMarsh

Postby Guest » 04/28/06 06:27 PM

It seems that you could avoid this sort of thing by prefacing the effect by saying that if asked to think of a small number that most people will say "seven" and if ask to think of a two digit number and told to make it a hard one many folks will say "thirteen" because they think using an "unlucky" number will trip you up.

SO...

Then you ask then to think of the first single number that comes to mind, telling them they can have seven if they want, with a grin, and then a second number and to arrange those numbers in either order to make a two digit number.

Help them create a random number, and then get them to agree that there is no way you could have influenced their choices...

Postby Guest » 04/29/06 03:40 AM

Gentlemen

Thank you so much for your responses. I think the nail was hit on the head with the context of the trick. I mainly do close up. I mainly at least try to be entertaining and charming. I think the banal solution suggestion is exactly it.

I am working on developing a close up mentalist act andmaybe I should either wait until tht is more completed or maybe just do that in isolation.

I realised the floating bill cannot be followed, so I usually just do that in isolation. Maybe this should be the same.

Also, I love the idea of getting them to pick one digit at a time, and the gags about 7 / 13 etc.

Again, thanks for the suggestions and help. The quality of reposnses this forum gets truly staggers me. Thanks for giving me so much time.

Damian

Return to Close-Up Magic