Complicated routines

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

Postby Guest » 02/17/02 01:45 PM

Hello everyone I have a bit of a problem I bet you guys can help me with. Recently I was rereading The Complete Works of Derek Dingle. There are so many tricks in that book that I love but I had a lot of trouble remembering all the steps and set ups, I would find myself doing a set of moves from another simmilar routine. This isn't just a problem for in with Dingle but with many books. Does anyone have suggestions on how I can stay fresh on complicated routines?Thanks

Noah Levine

Postby Rafael Benatar » 02/17/02 05:12 PM

If this happens, it's a hint that you haven't practiced enough. If you practice enough, remembering steps and set-ups should take care of itself. If you've done the routine for yourself a hundred times (looking at the book if necessary) and still can't remember, try a thousand. If still can't remember, then you might have a memory problem.
Rafael Benatar

Postby Randy DiMarco » 02/17/02 05:20 PM

I have a card with all the routines I perform written on it. I run through every routine on the card at least once a day. I do this whether I am going to perform that day or not. I have another card of the things that I am working on and things I consider non-performance material. I try to run through this card daily but don't sweat it if I am not able. This usually helps but I still get brain lock sometimes. It just happens.
Randy DiMarco

Postby Guest » 02/17/02 05:36 PM

Thanks for the tips.

Noah Levine

Postby Pete Biro » 02/17/02 06:31 PM

Some time ago when Peter Kane was over, he had in incredibly huge repertoire. I asked him how he remembered the tricks, and how he decided what tricks to do. He said each card in the deck reminded him of a trick, so he would look at the bottom card and the next trick would be the one that card coded.
Stay tooned.
Pete Biro

Return to Close-Up Magic