Three shells

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

Postby Guest » 05/01/02 12:56 AM

Would anyone care to recommend some good sources for info on the 3 shell game?

Postby Guest » 05/01/02 04:35 AM

One stop shopping

http://www.chefanton.com/SSshellgame.htm

Sets of shells, peas. books and videos - all quality and great service.
Brendan

Postby Matthew Field » 05/01/02 08:18 AM

Whit Haydn and Chef Anton have their School for Scoundrels shells and peas plus there's a video by Whit, there are the Bob Kohler golden shells and I'm reviewing the new Bob Sheets "3 Shell Game" video in the July Genii. Mike Close reviews the Sheets video in MAGIC this month.

Matthew Field
Matthew Field

Postby Brian Morton » 05/01/02 11:33 AM

The Bob Sheets video has a shell move that, if you've never seen it before, will fry you bad.
It's not a long video and I'd much rather have something in print, but that said, it's so good it's scary.

brian :cool:
Brian Morton

Postby Guest » 05/02/02 02:50 AM

Agreed - I've seen Frank Garcia tape, Phill Cass and BobSheets - all have good tips but for me the Sheets tape wins

Soooooo clean!

Postby Guest » 05/02/02 04:36 AM

Never having been a fan of the three shell game I was converted when I saw Bob Sheets earlier this year performing it.. It will blow you away.

Postby Bill Mullins » 05/02/02 03:01 PM

The Travel Channel had a special a couple weeks ago, "Magicians of the Street" with Bob Sheets in Santa Monica and Allan Hayden in Venice Beach, and with Michael Ammar and Johnny Ace Palmer working upscale sidewalk bistros.

Sheets's set include his shell game -- is this a demo of the move in question?

Bill Mullins
Bill Mullins

Postby Guest » 05/03/02 12:48 AM

What impressed me with Sheets video was an acquitment which was so much cleaner than the old way of hiding the pea with the back of your hand - it's clean and so cheeky -
Love it!

Postby Guest » 05/04/02 04:10 PM

Bob Sheets did use the new acquitment on the Travel Channel show.

I found that show to be one of the most entertaining magic on tv shows in a long time, and Bob's part was a highlight for me.

His video is short but worth the money. He presents the first new thinking on shell game moves in many years.

As to the original question, there are many sources of info on the shell game out there: Patrick Page has a very good tutorial which includes video, shells, pea and bag for the apparatus. Bob Kohler's video is also very good and his routine is even better live. Tom Osborne's book, Giovanni Livera's lecture notes, and Chanin's book (if you can find a copy) are recommended. Chef Anton and Whit Haydn are supposed to be putting out a definitive work on the subject this summer sometime.

Study as many as you can find and once you learn the moves, figure out a routine that suits your personality.

Cordially,
tr
:cool:

Return to Close-Up Magic