Monday Night Magic on TODAY

Discuss general aspects of Genii.

Postby Joe M. Turner » 08/01/01 10:35 AM

Just saw Jamy Ian Swiss, Michael Chaut, Peter Samelson and Harley Newman perform on The Today Show. Good job -- and nice link to the Genii web site from the story in the Today section at MSNBC.com.

Jamy, you looked great and did a fine job. The revelation at the end on Matt's palm -- was that an out? I got a sense that something went awry and you saved the spot with a double-lift. Passes and color changes looked great as usual. I'm sure you got a tape but if not, I've got one I can dub for you (or others interested).

Best,
JMT
Joe M. Turner

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » 08/01/01 11:01 AM

I've seen both Jamy and Peter perform at MNM. Jamy was MC both times I was there, and I watched him do close up at intermission the first time. Peter was the headliner the second time I went. Both of them are excellent performers, but then, so is everyone at MNM. If anyone is in the NY area or is planning to be here at any time, I would HIGHLY recommend a trip to MNM. You will not be disappointed.

I had forgotten about the segment on TODAY - I meant to tape it. Ah well.

-Jim
Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Guest » 08/01/01 11:41 AM

For Joe M. Turner...

Joe I would really appreciate a copy of
Today Show magic segment.

Roger Klause
Box 1256
Borger, TX 79008-1256

Postby Joe M. Turner » 08/01/01 11:49 AM

Will dub it today; should go out today or tomorrow.

Best,
Joe M. Turner
Joe M. Turner

Postby Guest » 08/01/01 01:49 PM

Thanks Joe...I owe you one!
Great job on the Genii reviews...

regards,

Roger

Postby Steve Bryant » 08/01/01 03:39 PM

Also on tv, last night, was Wild On ... Sin City. Show began with Lance doing Jim Pace's "The Web" for the cute host. She screamed. I settled in to watching the swimming pool at Hard Rock and hoped for a pleasant hour, perhaps with more magic. Suddenly a mouse shot out of the laundry room. I screamed. That was that. (Will check the tape tonight to see what transpired. Sorry, no way to dupe.)
Steve Bryant

Postby Eric DeCamps » 08/01/01 07:03 PM

For those who missed the performances on live on the Today Show. A video of the magic portion can be viewed at the following web address:
http://www.msnbc.com/m/v/video_news.asp

Congratulations to Peter Samelson, Jamy Ian Swiss, Harley Newman and of course to Michael Chaut! Well deserved kudos gentlemen!

Eric DeCamps
Eric DeCamps

Postby Joe M. Turner » 08/01/01 08:59 PM

Mr. Klause -- Since the online video does not include Jamy, I'm still going to dub you a copy unless you say otherwise.

Regards,
JMT

[ August 01, 2001: Message edited by: Joe M. Turner ]
Joe M. Turner

Postby Guest » 08/01/01 09:08 PM

Joe: Yes, please send a copy.

Thanks again!

Roger

Postby Brian Marks » 08/02/01 12:18 AM

I would also like a copy if possible

Brian Marks
5 Quarry Dr.
New City, NY 10956
Brian Marks

Postby Guest » 08/04/01 12:42 AM

Does anyone know if Peter Samelson has anything else that is on tape? I have only ever seen him do his version of the Snowstorm on the PBS special a few years back, and just from that, I'm a huge fan.

Postby Guest » 08/05/01 12:49 AM

He was on a talk show back in the late 80's doing Snowstorm, Invasion of the Body Snatchers (one of the best presentations and handlings of Wild Card I've ever seen), and his ring and rope work (both with a large ring and a borrowed ring, ending with Ring Flight). The same show also featured David Roth, and I believe a couple other magicians (the copy I have was only part of the show, showing Roth and Samelson).

I can't remember the name of the show, it was Robert something (can't recall his last name, but he's a comedian and has a slight lisp) -- it was before my time, as it were, so I only know it from the tape.

My copy's in NJ right now, but if anyone's interested you can drop me an e-mail and I'll make a copy when I get back out east at the beginning of September. The same tape also has a couple of clips from Arsenio Hall with the Pendragons and Ed Alonzo, Joseph Gabriel on another talk show (I want to say Merv Griffin, but I can't remember offhand), a clip of John Carney and The Mums on yet another show, a children's magic show (PBS?), and a ton of other clips.

Postby Paul Cummins » 08/05/01 07:54 AM

Originally posted by Andy Leviss:
[QB]He was on a talk show back in the late 80's ... I can't remember the name of the show, it was Robert something

It was Robert Klien's show and it also featured a lady doing magic (produced a dove out of her handbag if I remember correctly, and sawed Klien in half too), perhaps Dorothy Dietrich?
Paul Cummins

Postby Richard Kaufman » 08/05/01 11:11 AM

Guys, I think trading videoclips from TV of magicians is a great thing. But, this is not a department store, and please be considerate in requesting copies of something. It takes time and costs money.
PLEASE OFFER TO PAY FOR THE TAPE AND THE POSTAGE AT THE VERY LEAST. :)
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine
Richard Kaufman

Postby Brian Marks » 08/05/01 12:33 PM

well of course Richard.
Brian Marks

Postby Rene Clement » 08/05/01 01:20 PM

Andy,
The show you were refering to was The Robert Klein Show. I think Dorothy Deitrich was also on the show that night.
--Rene
Rene Clement

Postby Richard Kaufman » 08/05/01 03:01 PM

Hi Rene, welcome to the Forum! Let me know what you guys in New York City think of Genii!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine
Richard Kaufman

Postby Joe M. Turner » 08/05/01 11:44 PM

Brian:

I'll get you a copy made this week. I made the others (I got emails requesting copies) and sent them out on Friday.

I'll do some more this week and then the store is closed. :D

Best,
JMT
Joe M. Turner

Postby Guest » 08/06/01 11:08 AM

Yup, it was Robert Klein -- Dorothy isn't on the tape I have of it, though, only part of the show got taped...

Postby magicusa » 10/03/08 09:02 AM

For the record Dorothy Dietrich was on the show. She produced a dove from an empty purse, Did a routine "Can she cook?" where she produced a live poddle, and did her sawing a MAN in half with host Robert Klein that brought probably the most laughs on the show.
magicusa

Return to General