Resources for kids

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

Postby Guest » 09/10/05 11:00 AM

After seeing one my routines, my nephew (seven years old) says that he wants to be a magician. He's too young for any of the beginner books on magic, and his hands aren't ready to do most card magic. His birthday is coming up and I'd like to get him something. Are there good books that teach simple magic tricks for kids to do? I'm thinking of stuff on the level of the glass through the table trick, some easy coin tricks, stuff like that.

Postby Spellbinder » 09/26/05 12:31 PM

You might consider starting him off with a simple sponge ball routine, only just use cubes that you cut from a foam sponge. You can make those in a size to fit his hands and if he can learn some simple moves with them, his reward could be to earn a set of "Peter Rabbit Goes to Town" or a set of "real" sponge balls.

If your plan is to give him a book and tell him to go read it, that plan almost never works. His motivation for reading will come from working with you, having you read to him about what you are doing, and finally getting the more advanced stuff through his own reading.
Phineas Spellbinder
The Magic Nook
Spellbinder

Postby Spellbinder » 09/27/05 02:07 AM

The Golden Book of Magic by Clayton Rawson is well illustrated and written for fourth graders. It's a book he would grow into, although he would need help getting started.

Whatever book you finally decide to give him, start off by having him choose a trick he wants to learn, and then bring you all the things he needs to do the trick (deck of cards, newspaper, etc.). He can do that from looking at the pictures and in The Golden Book of Magic, there is a list of materials which most kids can read and follow. Then you can read together to figure out the trick. The time you invest in working and playing with him is worth more than any book or trick you might give him.
Phineas Spellbinder
The Magic Nook
Spellbinder

Postby Guest » 09/27/05 08:29 AM

Look in used internet booksellers such as Bibliofind or Powells for Fun with Magic and More Fun with Magic by Joseph Leeming. These books were those on which I cut my magical teeth at age 8 in my public library. Most copies that you will find are ex-libris for those books, anyway. The only problem is that the book is not colorful, but rather all line drawings and text. Modern kid magic books are brightly colored, and use more pictures to teach. However, there is some good material in the Leeming books, and I bought them for my young son for the future.

The previous poster is correct in his recommendation of Rawson's Golden Book of Magic. It is very colorful and has some good material in it. Email me if you cannot find it, as I stumbled across an extra copy by luck, and so I have two copies.

In modern publications, try Magic Tricks by Fay Presto. It's in our public library, and it is very colorful, with a mix of photos and colored drawings to teach how to make and do the effects. I found it easily at Amazon, Books-a-million, Barnes & Noble, etc.

Jon

Return to Close-Up Magic