wipe-away vanish

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

Postby Steve Vaught » 11/22/02 10:36 PM

I saw David Stone do what I believe is a "wipe-away vanish on his first video. I was knocked OUT!! Is there a video or book that explains in detail this move?
Also, I am interested in David Roth's "pothole trick" Is that something that I could perform standing at a table and with minimal effort be reset for another table?

Thanks for your help,

Steve
Steve Vaught

Postby Jonathan Townsend » 11/22/02 11:04 PM

Originally posted by Steve Vaught:
...David Roth's "pothole trick" Is that something that I could perform standing at a table and with minimal effort be reset for another table?
Steve, David Roth's Portable Hole routine is a work of art, and one needs to be seated to perform it as written. It is neither easy nor designed for easy translation to standup walkaround performing.

Perhaps others have reworked the routine?
Mundus vult decipi
Jonathan Townsend

Postby Steve Vaught » 11/23/02 03:32 PM

Jonathan, thank you for responding, you saved me some money.
Bill I got an email but no response was written.
I am still wondering about the vanish?
Steve
Steve Vaught

Postby Mike Powers » 11/23/02 04:20 PM

Hi Steve,

I've seen David do a sort of "hand washing" thing where a coin is hidden throughout this display of empty hands. It looks great!

Gary Kurtz is also a master of this sort of technique. You just can't believe there's a coin (or coins) in those hands. Check out his videos. He is a true master who has now turned his attention to mentalism.

Mike
Mike Powers

Postby Kevin Wiese » 11/23/02 05:07 PM

I also saw Stone lecture here in Richmond, Va. and was most impressed. The wipe away vanish he does is Ammar's "Wiped Clean". It can be found in Apocalypse vol. 3 (1980) or on Stone's 2nd video.

Kevin Wiese
Kevin Wiese

Postby Steve Vaught » 11/23/02 07:34 PM

Kevin, thank you for that info!! I will purchase that video!
Mike...I go by your way every Wed. and Thur. I am up at Michigan City.

Thanks
Steve
Steve Vaught

Postby Bill Duncan » 11/23/02 08:09 PM

Since the handing being discussed is Mike Ammar's perhaps we ought to reference his publication?

The Magic Reference Pages have the full scoop:
The Magic Of Michael Ammar - table of contents

You might also wish to visit Ammar's website:
Michael\'s homepage

Steve,
I deleted my initial post. That's why you got an email notification but found no message.
Bill Duncan

Postby Steve Vaught » 11/24/02 10:57 AM

Thank you Bill, I checked the Ammar website. The search took me right to the video with "wiped clean".

MAN!!! what a forum! where else can you go, ask a question, and have a whole arsenal of people ready to help.

Steve
Steve Vaught

Postby Sam Kesler » 11/24/02 11:34 AM

Thanks Bill, for reminding everyone of this "tripod" site. I discovered it a while back and love it! It's great to study the table of contents of the books we have yet to buy (so many!). Hope more books get added soon.
Sam Kesler

Postby Bill Duncan » 11/24/02 12:16 PM

Originally posted by Sam Kesler:
Hope more books get added soon.
Well, you could help! ;)

I took a break after doing the contents of the Art Of Astonishmenet series and Earl Nelson's Variations to write a set of lecture notes and a manuscript on presentation. Now those are mostly complete I can get back to important work. My next "project" is the contents of the Martin A. Nash Trilogy.
Bill Duncan

Return to Close-Up Magic