Holiday gift to Genii CLOSE-UP MAGIC

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

Postby Spellbinder » 11/19/05 09:32 AM

I first began writing articles for Genii magazine in the early 70's. My earliest articles were seasonal in nature; every December I would contribute a list of ways to incorporate Season's Greetings into the magic act. This post continues that tradition, as my annual gift to Genii and its readers. Fitting the gift to the Internet Forum format, it is in three parts this year; close-up; stage/platform; and mental magic.

Part 1 - Close-up

Dollar stores provide a lot of inspiration for seasonal magic. This season use Jingle bells to do the rattle bar routine. At the end of the routine, the found jingler won't stop jingling. Then you find the cause ... a tiny mechanical seasonal doll/reindeer toy appears with a jingle bell attached that just keeps ringing and ringing and ringing. If you can get one with a radio control device, you can have the running gag of having the doll jingle once for yes and two for no to answer questions, then afterwards, it jingles after each of your tricks.

Inspired by Cyril's candy kiss card (but not jusing the same method): use your computer printer and a special window cling transparency material (Staples, Office Depot, etc.) to make a cling-on christmas ornament. Stick it on the back of an indifferent card. Vanish the ornament and throw it invisibly at the deck. Spread the cards and locate the card with the ornament on back (the force card is right beneath it). DL showing the face of the force card. Hold the force card over the spectator's hand and apparently "pop off" the christmas ornament into their hands.

Do the ring on candy cane, then a broken and restored candy cane, and end with a production of candy canes (remember those old cigarette moves you thought you'd never use again when you gave up smoking? They're perfect for candy cane maneuvers!).

A transparent plastic or glass ornament hanging on the tree is the perfect place for you to locate that vanished ring or playing card. It can hang there in plain sight all night and no one will notice it until you do the trick and have them examine the ornament closely.

Others- please feel free to give of your magical gifts to help celebrate the season by adding to this thread.
Phineas Spellbinder
The Magic Nook
Spellbinder

Postby Spellbinder » 11/19/05 12:49 PM

I guess I need to match Gerrish's gift, since we're partners, but I'll be using Wizard magic.

I also learned something from watching Cyril's work; you can do the table penetration with a glass tabletop. Funny, I never thought of doing that before! So my seasonal offering is a gem of a routine I have done for years using an ordinary opaque tabletop. I have a black velvet handkerchief that I use to "collect tears" from the ladies (men never admit to having any tears to offer me). I ask them to think of their saddest Christmas ever and either get them shedding real tears, or I pretend to see a tear, which I "collect" in my black handkerchief. When I have five or six tears, I shake the tears onto the table. They have been transformed into colorful sparkly gemstones (craft shop variety, not Tiffany's!). I'm sure every Magician or Wizard here can handle that one.

Now, following Cyril's idea (but not his method!) I choose a spectator who wants to erase her Christmas tears and insure that this next Christmas is a happy one. She points out which of the gemstones best represents her tears (let's say it is the ruby). I then cover all the stones with one hand and place the other hand beneath the table. The ruby stone penetrates the glass tabletop and is seen resting on my hand beneath the glass. Having been "cleansed" by its trip through the glass, the ruby stone now must be pushed back UP through the glass. My hand on top of the table again covers the ruby and my other hand beneath the table, and begins picking at something. A silver chain emerges from between my fingers on top of the table. I ask her to slowly pull on the chain and as she does, she discovers the ruby above the tabletop, attached to the chain as a pendant. I make her a gift of the pendant and ask her to wear it this year, forgetting the sadness of the past which she now wears around her neck.

Magicians or Wizards who know the coin through table moves will have no difficulty with the simple sleights involved.
Phineas Spellbinder
The Magic Nook
Spellbinder

Return to Close-Up Magic