Daley Dilemma!

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

Postby Marty Jacobs » 02/13/13 06:49 AM

I've been blogging about the good Doctor's most famous trick. The guys over at the green room seem to be enjoying the articles, so I thought I'd post the links here as well:

Daley Dilemma (Part 1)
Daley Dilemma (Part 2)
Daley Dilemma (Part 3)

I'd love to hear people's thoughts on this classic trick and whether you agree/disagree with my analysis.

Marty
Marty Jacobs

Postby Q. Kumber » 02/13/13 08:57 AM

Forget about the nonsense of asking where is the Ace of Spades. That is confusing.
Far better when the effect is the two red aces change places with the two black aces.
In my experience using the helper's hands strengthens the effect, not weakens it.

I use the handling taught by Bev Bergeron in his lecture notes which I bought in 1978 and use the effect as an intro to McDonald's Aces. Taking out the four aces for the Daley trick gives me an excuse to put the balance of the deck into my outside jacket pocket.

As they turn over the cards in their hand, I remove the deck, ready for McDonald.

Thanks for your blog posts. They make interesting reading and a healthy discussion on any trick is always worthwhile.
Q. Kumber

Postby Marty Jacobs » 02/13/13 09:18 AM

Yes, on occasion I've performed it as a pure transformation as you suggest. However, I've found I get better results presenting it as a scam a la Three Card Monte (the original write-up seems to point the reader in this direction). Maybe this style just suits me better?

This trick is great for deck switches and secret add-ons as you describe.

Marty
Marty Jacobs

Postby El Mystico » 02/13/13 10:40 AM

For me, Marty is offering solutions to problems which simply do not exist for spectators.
The 'false problem' start point is something that has been used to justify way too many poor variations of tricks, in my opinion.
(NB - I'm not suggesting Marty's handling is poor - I've never seen it).
El Mystico

Postby Marty Jacobs » 02/13/13 11:05 AM

Hi El Mystico,

Well, you may be right, I don't have any hard empirical evidence to suggest these problems are significant. But I do not think these are false problems.

In my experience, most spectators will not tell you if they suspect something, you have to ask them directly. Obviously you wouldn't do this in most performance situations! However, I've done his with friends and family. The insight gained is invaluable.

And if I am just arguing over moot points, at least I'm in good company. John Bannon touched on some of these issues in his book Dear Mr. Fantasy. I'm sure there are other examples of this in the literature too.

Marty

P.S. I'll be sharing one of my handlings via my blog, so you can decide for yourself if I'm over thinking the issue and creating mediocre variations.
Marty Jacobs

Postby Marty Jacobs » 02/14/13 06:29 AM

The final part of my analysis is now live. I've also added a novel version of Daley's trick to the free tricks area of my blog. This trick has been designed to address all of the issues I've mentioned in the four articles.

Read Daley Dilemma (Part 4)

Marty
Marty Jacobs

Postby Jeff Pierce Magic » 02/17/13 11:07 AM

Hi Marty, the only problem I had with Daley's trick is that it was over in a second. This spured my decision to create a version that transposes the cards one at a time. In 2004 I came up with "Drop Dead Queens." You can see a video on my website at the link below. Although it is performed to music, I sometimes use it as ademonstratin of pickpocketing by having the spec plac the first two cards in different jacket pockets and "steal" them one at a time.

http://www.jeffpiercemagic.com/index.ph ... ducts_id=6

Jeff
visit my website at:
www.jeffpiercemagic.com
Jeff Pierce Magic

Postby Marty Jacobs » 02/22/13 09:13 AM

Hi Jeff,

I like Drop Dead Queens a lot. It genuinely adds something to the plot. Was this trick in your book The King Has Left the Building...With Amnesia (the hard copy version)? I seem to remember reading it in there, but maybe I'm just confused!

The pickpocketing ideas makes for a great presentational hook. I also have a version that allows you to steal the cards one at a time, which I present as a demonstration of card mucking.

Marty

P.S. For those of you who hadn't noticed, I've published a variation of Daley's trick on the "free tricks" page of my blog. The trick is called "Big Bullet Monte":

http://www.magiconthebrain.com/free-tricks/
Marty Jacobs

Return to Close-Up Magic