Did I buy some Knock Off DVDs?

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.

Postby jwalkmagic » 12/14/12 12:47 PM

I recently purchased a set of Early Ammar DVDs from a local magic dealer. OK not so much a dealer as a joke/sex toys shop that has a magic counter.

I normally only purchase the occasional item there if I don't have time to wait for mail order to arrive. When I was buying some sponge balls I spotted the set being sold as used. They said they were selling it for a customer.

As the price was good I decided to take them.

My concern stems from the printing on the disks themselves. While the images match what I see on web sights of magic dealers they seem to be somewhat dull in finish and not as crisp as I might have expected.

The disks themselves play properly with about the quality I would expect from something that was produced for VHS then later ported over to DVD.

I know that I can get a refund if these turn out to be knock offs but I don't want to be throwing around accusations unless I am sure. I don't think the store is cloning DVDs - frankly they are not that clever. I doubt that the customer they were selling these for was either but I just hat the thought of having bought a knock off.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Joe
jwalkmagic

Postby Richard Kaufman » 12/14/12 01:09 PM

There's no way to tell unless you post a photo of the disc label. Even then, the disc labels could be exact duplicates of the originals. Piracy is very hard to catch.

One clue would be the discs themselves: look at the side that plays: is it silver or purplish? If it's purplish, those are the type of DVDs that you burn yourself--if you see that, then they are definitely bootlegs and should be returned. If the disc is silver on the play side, it's less likely they're bootlegs.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine
Richard Kaufman

Postby jwalkmagic » 12/15/12 01:45 PM

Thanks.

They were purple in color. I have already returned them for a refund. The owner of the place hemmed and hawed for a moment - gave me the usual "can't return a secret" line but I reminded her that selling these was against the law so she acquiesced.

Turns out that they had been purchased on eBay by the college kid she has doing magic demos for her. I told him that he should go after whomever sold them to him but he said the vendor was located in Hong Kong. I suggested that he report the vendor to eBay took my money and left.

This is a good illustration of why I almost never buy goods from offshore eBay vendors. Too much of a chance to get taken like this.

Good clue about the purple tint. I will have to remember that next time I go to a magic swap meet or such. It is just too easy to fake these things with modern computers.

Joe
jwalkmagic

Postby Richard Kaufman » 12/15/12 02:26 PM

Glad to hear you had a successful resolution.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine
Richard Kaufman

Return to Buzz