How is it different? It looks identical to me.
And you're basing this on what? Watching a 50 second video? I didn't realise you'd done so much research before jumping to opinions.
Even in the short video, there are plenty of differences to be seen, but here are the main ones ...
1) It's tricky to get the image of your business card into your phone with BizCardMagic. You need to get an image of your card onto your computer, tweak it there, then transfer it to your iPhone. Too many stages for the app generation. With Card Now, everything is done within the app! Jakob has worked very hard on this. You photograph, crop, enhance and scale the image all inside of the Card Now app!
2) In BizCardMagic, there's only one way to produce the image of the card on your phone. That involves opening the app and keying in a code. In Card Now, there are currently two production methods (many more are planned for future versions of the app). Both of these appear to make your iPhone do something that no other iPhone is capable of. One where your card 'prints out' on top of your home screen. The other makes all of your home screen icons flip over and morph into an image of your business card. Neither look like an app is running, unlike BizCardMagic.
3) I found that even though BizCardMagic could produce my business card, I wasn't using the app. The reason was because it looked and felt a little dated to me. This is obviously subjective, but it was important enough to stop me performing an effect that I wanted to perform.
4) There's no gravity in BizCardMagic. Shaking an object around in Card2phone is just plain fun! That's all built in to Card Now.
5) We can add more cool stuff because we coded it The list of things we want to add to Card Now is long (next version is well into development).
Pretty much all magic effects are built on what went before them. Crediting is important, which is why Carl's name and app are in the acknowledgements.
I completely agree that the fundamental purpose of the two apps are the same. They both want to put a business card in someone's hand in a memorable way. The list of enhancements above is what makes Card Now different to BizCardMagic.