Malini´s Cigar Trick

Discuss the latest feature articles in Genii.
User avatar
Grippo's Wish
Posts: 21
Joined: July 9th, 2012, 5:05 am
Location: Planet Earth
Contact:

Malini´s Cigar Trick

Postby Grippo's Wish » October 10th, 2012, 1:18 pm

In regards to Malinis trick, Mr. Ben rejects Vernons method for the trick and proposes that Edward Victor's method as Malini method.

Truthfuly, I do not think Malini was using a pin. Also, Vernon should had paid attention to this fact if this was the method involved.

In my humble opinion, Malinis TRUE method is found in Greater Magic,pag. 762. The method described VERY CLOSELY resembles the Vernon description.

Also, although no explicit mention is made to Malini, the author of GM writes as follows in "Presentation of the Trick": "This is a matter of personal showmanship. In the hands of one man it will be a miracle, while another may only arouse mild curiosity with it".
IMO, this is a hint to Malini.

Also, an additional proof that my theory is correct is that in the next page of GM is a method for levitating 2 cigars.

Thanks for the Malini article, it's superb. I was upset for around a complete week when I red about Malini's low moral standards in the latter part of his life.
EXOTIC MYSTERIES http://exoticmyst.blogspot.com/
http://sites.google.com/site/akindofmagictricks/

Bob Farmer
Posts: 1890
Joined: January 17th, 2008, 12:00 pm
Location: Short card above selection.

Re: Malini´s Cigar Trick

Postby Bob Farmer » October 11th, 2012, 3:59 pm

I looked that up and it uses Seccotine. Wikipedia says:

"Seccotine is a brand of refined liquid fish glue used for gluing paper and card and as a binder in gesso, which remains flexible after drying. It is also used in the mounting of preserved insect specimens, as it can be dissolved in water if the specimen must be removed for further investigation."

This can't be the method Malini used since it's exactly the method any laymen would come up with (i.e., "There's something sticky on your hands."). Malini was much craftier than that.

Also, I can't imagine a real world worker walking around with some sort of glue activated by heat (according to the description) all day. This could interfere with any number of other effects.

I don't understand how the method for levitating multiple cigars (a method that doesn't use fish glue)somehow supports your theory that Malini used a method that did use fish glue.

In case of a tie, I think I'll go with David Ben's conclusion since he's not just theorizing, he actually does the trick.

As to Malini's low moral standards, apparently this was caused by some changes to his brain chemistry occasioned by too much exposure to Seccotine, but I'm sure this was for another trick he did (he shakes hands with a spectator and the guy can't let go).

User avatar
Grippo's Wish
Posts: 21
Joined: July 9th, 2012, 5:05 am
Location: Planet Earth
Contact:

Re: Malini´s Cigar Trick

Postby Grippo's Wish » October 19th, 2012, 11:01 am

In the october issue in page 70 and 71, there is a reproduction of 2 pages of notes of Malini's show by Wu Ling.

In page 70 it says: "..."Next, cigar borrowed. Multiplied into two, and both levitated. Lady in audience removed one from his fingertips. (Was seen to obtain something from coat pocket while borrowing first cigar, and also moisten his fingers before levitation. Method doubtful)"

I believe this to be a conclusive proof to my theory that Malini's method is in GM.
EXOTIC MYSTERIES http://exoticmyst.blogspot.com/

http://sites.google.com/site/akindofmagictricks/

User avatar
Grippo's Wish
Posts: 21
Joined: July 9th, 2012, 5:05 am
Location: Planet Earth
Contact:

Re: Malini´s Cigar Trick

Postby Grippo's Wish » October 19th, 2012, 11:06 am

Bob Farmer wrote: Malini was much craftier than that.


Well... are you sure? Malini performed BEGINNER'S trick, even for his time.

Bob Farmer wrote:Also, I can't imagine a real world worker walking around with some sort of glue activated by heat (according to the description) all day. This could interfere with any number of other effects.


See my post

Bob Farmer wrote:I don't understand how the method for levitating multiple cigars (a method that doesn't use fish glue)somehow supports your theory that Malini used a method that did use fish glue.


Because the 2 effects are associated with Malini, and GM explains them one after the other.

Bob Farmer wrote:In case of a tie, I think I'll go with David Ben's conclusion since he's not just theorizing, he actually does the trick.


It's a fallacy. Malini's actual method has nothing to do with what other is performing.

Bob Farmer wrote:As to Malini's low moral standards, apparently this was caused by some changes to his brain chemistry occasioned by too much exposure to Seccotine, but I'm sure this was for another trick he did (he shakes hands with a spectator and the guy can't let go).


I thought it was not practical
EXOTIC MYSTERIES http://exoticmyst.blogspot.com/

http://sites.google.com/site/akindofmagictricks/


Return to “Feature Articles”