1st Edition Erdnase; Nottingham edition

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.

Postby Kent Gunn » 09/25/12 08:43 AM

I don't know if this vignette qualifies as history; it's certainly anecdotal.

I recently moved cross-country; San Francisco to Tampa Florida. In the course of selling my house at 131 Nottingham Ave, in Redwood City, to a fellow magician, the strangest thing happened.

The buyer; a good friend and collector of magic books, had several copies of the Erdnase book that were true first editions. Mostly in jest, I offered to knock the price of the home down for one of his 1st editions. I don't know if was something in the air, or the whimsical nature of it all.

He got a good discount on the house and I probably doubled the value of my small collection of magic books, with a single edition/addition.

My friend, (those in the SF Bay Area know who it is), warned me not to read from it. He's manufactured this awesome case that is a larger replica of the outside of the book.

Guess I'm bragging here. It was a ridiculous sum of money I should not have surrendered. Somehow, it still makes sense. I'm more than happy to have the book.

Kent Gunn
Happily ensconced in Florida
Kent Gunn

Postby mrgoat » 09/25/12 12:13 PM

If it makes you happy, then it's worth it.

Looking forward to meeting you next week.
mrgoat

Return to Magic History and Anecdotes