Nyman as Kick Ass Villain

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.

Postby Magic Newswire » 08/27/12 11:30 AM

Andy Nyman has been cast as the villain "Tumour" for the upcoming sequel to "Kick Ass." http://bit.ly/NymanKA
Magic Newswire

Postby Richard Kaufman » 08/27/12 03:05 PM

Sounds like a starting point for a career in US films. He's certainly done enough stuff in the UK.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine
Richard Kaufman

Postby AJM » 08/27/12 03:53 PM

I would disagree - he's pretty much unknown here.

I suspect the roles that might be suitable for Mr Nyman go instead to another British actor, Stephen Graham - who is finding success on both sides of the pond in both film and TV.

Regards

Andrew
AJM

Postby Richard Kaufman » 08/27/12 05:07 PM

I didn't say he was a star in the UK, but he's done half a dozen feature films and TV series at the very least, in addition to starring in a play he'd written in the West End.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine
Richard Kaufman

Postby AJM » 08/27/12 05:54 PM

I know what you said, cos it's written a couple of posts above.

As a bit of a film, tv and theatre anorak, I tend to keep up to date with who's doing what and, apart from a little known film called Death at a Funeral (which became even littler following its Hollywood remake with an entirely different cast), I would be struggling to name anything else he's been involved in. As a result of my interest in magic he is more well known to me for his work with Derren Brown.

Lots of actors do lots of stuff, however it doesn't mean they're ready for their Hollywood break.

There are lots of reasons why an actor is cast in a role which, as a film buff yourself, you will be aware, including:
- name above the title (unlikely in this case)
- body of past work (again unlikely)
- a scenery chewing audition (possible)
- location of filming
- cost
- physical characteristics
- known to the director, producer, writer, other cast members etc etc.

(The British connection to the first Kick Ass movie included Scot Mark Millar, who created the character, and screenwriter Jane Goldman - who's now becoming more successful than her chat show host husband, Jonathan Ross. Not sure if they will be back for the sequel, but perhaps there could be connection there).

I'm not questioning Mr Nyman's acting skills, I'm sure he is a very fine actor - and very likely to be a much better actor than Ricky Jay - I'm just saying....

Andrew
Last edited by AJM on 08/27/12 05:57 PM, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: Typo
AJM

Return to Buzz