Cigarette Through Quarter

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.

Postby David Acer » 01/18/05 01:05 PM

Does anyone know who created this plot, or has the name of the originator been lost to history?
Now tweeting daily from @David_Acer
David Acer

Postby Dustin Stinett » 01/18/05 02:21 PM

Wasnt it Pressley Guitar who first introduced the effect?

I just checked my Encyclopedia of Magic and Magicians and it says he was, and I'm not about to contradict T.A. Waters.
Dustin Stinett

Postby David Acer » 01/18/05 05:14 PM

Thanks Dustin!

By the way, please tell me "Pressley Guitar" wasn't the guy's real name...
David Acer

Postby Pete Biro » 01/18/05 05:20 PM

That's what I knowz him by... Guitar... made great stuff for sure.
Stay tooned.
Pete Biro

Postby David Acer » 01/18/05 05:24 PM

He HAD to make great stuff - he was compensating for being named "Pressley Guitar"...
David Acer

Postby Tabman » 01/18/05 05:28 PM

Scotty York told me an interesting story about PG and a water pick but I dare not repeat it since I dont know if its really true or not but Scotty swore it was and that he was actually there to witness it. Maybe Bill Wells was there at the time too, I can't remember anymore.

-=tabman
Tabman

Postby Guest » 01/18/05 05:43 PM

Tabby,

I'd love to hear that one some time, either in person or on email!

Regards,

Jon

Postby Matthew Field » 01/19/05 06:36 AM

Originally posted by David Acer:
By the way, please tell me "Pressley Guitar" wasn't the guy's real name...
It's his real name.

Matt Field
Matthew Field

Postby Guest » 01/19/05 08:34 AM

I first met Presley in 1968, at a convention in Boston. He showed me some coin magic. I thought, in the way we all do early on, that I was pretty slick, and Presley beat me up badly with a visual coin transpo. turned out he was using a "new" gimmick, a "sliding shell". He said he invented it, but there is some question as to the veracity of that claim. Steve Dusheck had introduced the same gimmick quite a bit earlier. Regardless, Presley took pity on a youthful dabbler. He'd just seen me battered into spending my last four dollars on a quarter-sized "Okito Coin Box", by Paul Diamond. So, he GAVE me an English Penny Slider, which I still have...

Presley sold a lot of other small props, all beautifully made. I have a set of four "Ivory" balls for the Vernon routine in the "Dai Vernon Book of Magic". There was a wand that came in two sections, screwed together like a pool cue if I remember right, and had hard rubber tips. Then the venerable "Cigarette Thru..." that started this thread. He invented, and patented, the CSB with an Oriental Coin after Connie Haden's two copper/one silver. There was a "Salt Pour" gimmick, leather "Dice Stacking" cups that were gimmicked to work as "Chop Cups", and he made a leather cone for Vernon's "Ball and Cone" routine. The ball was a bit small though, about the size of a golf ball, as I recall.

I'm sure there were other items, as Presley seemed to manufacture in limited quantities, more for fun than profit, and often didn't bother advertising. I wish now that I had one of everything he made, since it's all in keeping with the type of magic I like and do, and it is all beautifully made stuff, not to mention highly collectible!

By the way, Presley is probably still around, he answered a post on the Magic Cafe a while back...

Best, PSC

Postby Pete Biro » 01/19/05 09:03 AM

I have one of his wands.
Stay tooned.
Pete Biro

Postby Guest » 01/19/05 09:36 AM

Can I have it?

Best, PSC

Postby Guest » 01/19/05 11:06 AM

I believe you can contact Presley Guitar at RYDERGUS28@CS.COM. That is the email address he used on The Magic Caf when he posted there in December 2002.

I'm interested in presentations for the Cigarette Through Quarter. Does anybody use an actual presentation or storyline, or do you just do it as an interlude?

Cameron

Postby Lance Pierce » 01/19/05 01:03 PM

Presley (only one "s") Guitar is his real name, and he's one of the absolute princes of the magic world -- or anywhere else.

He didn't invent the cigarette through quarter effect; he invented the coin with the springloaded trap door that everyone uses these days. Prior to that, the effect was done with a coin that simply had a hole bored in it.

I noticed, Paul, that you put the word "ivory" in quotes, indicating you know they're not really ivory. They're made of phenolic plastic, which is a special plastic compound that's made by applying pressure and heat to layers of particular kinds of cloth or glass. A synthetic resin is added during this process that makes the plastic lightweight and incredibly strong for its mass. Presley's phenolic balls tend to yellow with age, but to me that only adds to their appeal.

-=tabman, the story is true. In fact, prior to that event, Larry Jennings would never reveal to other magicians what he did for a living, but that weekend and that event was how the entire magic world found out he was a plumber.

Presley is a fascinating character. I noted several things about him in my various visits to Dallas (actually, Addison, Texas) that have always stood out in my mind, but what I remember most -- among all the wild stories (some of which he told me himself) and his odd characteristics -- is that he was always the kindest (and in some ways, the most childlike) person I'd ever met.

Cameron, in my mind, the best presentation for the cigarette through the quarter I've ever seen is Derek's.
Lance Pierce

Postby David Acer » 01/19/05 01:32 PM

He sounds like an interesting man. Kaufman, are you listening? Cover story? Presley Guitar? What say ye?
David Acer

Postby Bill Wells » 01/19/05 03:50 PM

Presley Guitar ! A wonderful name with some great memories from years ago. A super craftsman and an unforgettable character. Like Paul, I treasure the four or five PG items that I own. I do remember some wonderful stories about Presley. Some I heard about and some I witnessed at various magic gatherings in Texas. Yes, he would be a great subject for a story...I am not sure you could print everything. However, Presley has never gotten the credit he so richly deserves.
Bill Wells
Bill Wells

Postby Mike Rubinstein » 01/19/05 05:30 PM

Cameron, in my COINvention lecture notes I have a novel presentation for the coin. Send me an e mail at rubinsteindvm@aol.com if interested. - Mike
Mike Rubinstein

Postby Dustin Stinett » 01/19/05 05:33 PM

Originally posted by Lance Pierce:
Presley (only one "s") Guitar is his real name
Im happy to know that Lance has the gumption to contradict T.A Waters who spelled Mr. Guitars name with a second s in the encyclopedic tome to which I referred. Even though Mr. Waters entry appears to be incorrect (and even though he is no longer with us) I still wont do it!

So the mystery of who conceived the effect remains. Hey, I tried. Good luck David!

Dustin
Dustin Stinett

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » 01/19/05 06:02 PM

How does Paul Belanger factor into things?

-Jim
Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby David Acer » 01/19/05 06:21 PM

Oddly enough, Paul Blanger is the reason I started this thread. The Camirand Academy is working on a DVD featuring routines with the "Blanger Cigarette Through Quarter" (the gimmicked quarter will be included with the DVD).

Blanger's handling was originally released by the Academy in 1984, and I've always found it to be extremely magical. However, the gimmick itself is a throwback to the pre-flap coin days, which is why I was inquiring as to the origin of the plot.
David Acer

Postby Guest » 01/19/05 07:03 PM

Ouch! All this talk about something through coin. I just closed the deal with a client based on the pencil(with their logo printed on it)through the borrowed quarter(ala Ammar, which you return to the person)for a long term trade show contract. Could we keep this in the circle for the next year or so. Thanks, Mike

Postby David Acer » 01/21/05 08:05 AM

Sorry Mike. The Cigarette Through Quarter has been out of the circle for a looooooooooong time. That's like asking us to keep the Egg Bag "under our hats."
David Acer

Postby Jonathan Townsend » 01/21/05 08:35 AM

Originally posted by David Acer:
...That's like asking us to keep the Egg Bag "under our hats."
As long as you are using eggs and not cell phones, iPods or MP3 players.
Mundus vult decipi
Jonathan Townsend

Postby Glenn Farrington » 01/21/05 11:50 AM

You mean other people are doing the egg bag....damn! Next thing your going to tell me is that magicians are having spectators pick a card.

Hey Richard...I also second an issue on Presley!
Comedy's Easy...Dying Sucks.
Glenn Farrington

Postby Guest » 01/24/05 05:56 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, Lance. By the way, I would like to ask you about something. Do you have an email address to which I can send a message? Or, if you'd rather not post the address, could you contact me at roatc@themagicfiles.com? Thanks.

Cameron

Postby Edwin Corrie » 01/25/05 01:05 AM

Following on from the original question, do we know when the sprung flap version was invented? I have one made into an old English penny which can only be viewed from one side - it's like a shell coin with an exposed metal spring on the back. Presumably this was made before the change to decimal currency (1972?).
Edwin Corrie

Return to Close-Up Magic