Sumer Reloaded!

Discuss your favorite platform magic and illusions.

Postby Nimrud » 06/17/12 03:17 PM

Hi Magicians,

Thanks to the constructive criticisms
the Sumer had been Reloaded.
There is a plus effect, the compression.

Here is the link:

youtube

Image



Best, Nimrud
Nimrud
 
Posts: 87
Joined: 01/09/10 03:01 PM

Postby Q. Kumber » 06/17/12 05:38 PM

It looks to me that she is hiding under the trolley.
User avatar
Q. Kumber
 
Posts: 1016
Joined: 01/17/08 01:00 PM
Location: Manchester, England

Postby Nimrud » 06/18/12 04:07 AM

Wrong way.
And I think this is not the "Masked magician" topic nor the "Illusion seminar" topic. :)

Best, Nimrud
Nimrud
 
Posts: 87
Joined: 01/09/10 03:01 PM

Postby Q. Kumber » 06/18/12 07:10 AM

You sure, the shadow really gives it away?
User avatar
Q. Kumber
 
Posts: 1016
Joined: 01/17/08 01:00 PM
Location: Manchester, England

Postby mrgoat » 06/18/12 07:26 AM

Oh, it's serious?

I honestly though this was a joke with the cheesy editing, music and the fact it was shot in a warehouse full of bags of stuff...
User avatar
mrgoat
 
Posts: 4201
Joined: 01/17/08 01:00 PM
Location: Brighton, UK

Postby Nimrud » 06/19/12 03:51 PM

Dear Q.Kumber and mrgoat!

You see the World's newest and one of the best illusions.
And you say what you say.
Why?

Best, Nimrud
Nimrud
 
Posts: 87
Joined: 01/09/10 03:01 PM

Postby Brad Jeffers » 06/19/12 04:37 PM

It's bad.
And why, when I click on the pictures, am I connected to a foreign "chat" site?
User avatar
Brad Jeffers
 
Posts: 503
Joined: 04/11/08 05:52 PM
Location: Savannah, GA

Postby Brad Henderson » 06/19/12 04:46 PM

I would hope one of the best illusions in the world would make me care. At best you have a puzzle - where is the girl hiding? Sadly, because of the design of the illusion, there is one obvious and perfectly viable solution.

You say she's not there. I say - it doesnt matter. If the audience believes she's there, there is no mystery. And the only way you can dispel them of their theory is to show them how it actually works. But as you fail to make us care, most will be fine shrugging their shoulders and living with the belief that explains things most simply.

I'm fond of quoting Regina Reynolds (if you don't know the association of the name Reynolds to illusions then you have no business calling yourself an illusionist let alone an illusion designer). Upon seeing an illusion she always asked: what happened, who cares and how else?

We have addrssed two of her three questions. The third is also an issue here - what is the effect? You squish her, you vanish her, you squish her and then put blades through her? That seems rather silly doesn't it? I mean, she's squished. What's the point of the blades except to add more of a puzzle element - 'no, she's not here!'

It doesn't contribute to the drama. It only makes it more of a puzzle. Why are you squishing her? Or are you making her disappear? Once squished - how do the blades enhance the effect of squishing? They don't - as designed. They serve merely as an element in your 'which hand is she in' game. Smart people will point under the illusion. That's your fault, not theirs.

Finally, the black paint job without any detailing will cause the prop to become lost on many stages. There should be some trim, smartly applied, that allow the prop to be seen. Use black to allow parts of the prop to get lost against the backdrop and appear thinner.

In short, your illusion is poorly conceived b
Brad Henderson
 
Posts: 2548
Joined: 01/17/08 01:00 PM
Location: austin, tx

Postby Nimrud » 06/19/12 05:15 PM

Dear Brad!

The Sumer reloaded is Mr. Saman Zerin's illusion, not mine.
The power of the illusion is in the simple black and antique silver design.
This is a complex illusion.
Compression - blades - cutting - three section - breaking.
There are only few illusions which have so many phases like the Sumer.
Every phase is an interesting story.
Those who have eyes can see that the Sumer is a perfect illusion.

Best, Nimrud
Nimrud
 
Posts: 87
Joined: 01/09/10 03:01 PM

Postby Brad Henderson » 06/19/12 05:24 PM

The moment the shade is removed the tower appears to be all black. On a stage - especially with a black curtain which Many have - the Prop becomes invisible. Even in the video it is hard to see what is supposed to be happening.

It's a bad design.

And yes, the illusion is complex. But what you fail to understand is that does NOT make it good. It makes it confusing at best or a tedious puzzle. You exclaim that few illusions are this complex. Have you considered there may be good reason for that?

Neither you nor your illusion designing friend have any understanding of drama or design.

Thank you for trying to use this forum to sell your friends prop.

As you can see, we are not interested. We have told you why. You disagree.

You're wrong.
Brad Henderson
 
Posts: 2548
Joined: 01/17/08 01:00 PM
Location: austin, tx

Postby Nimrud » 06/19/12 05:57 PM

Dear Brad!

The outsiders see a professional illusion,
and read some comments which are totally different
from what they see in the promo video.
The professional performers know that this is a good illusion
in every point.
You can see good only with your heart.

Best, Nimrud
Nimrud
 
Posts: 87
Joined: 01/09/10 03:01 PM

Postby mrgoat » 06/19/12 06:12 PM

Nimrud wrote:Dear Q.Kumber and mrgoat!

You see the World's newest and one of the best illusions.
And you say what you say.
Why?

Best, Nimrud


Because it is an appallingly bad illusion, obvious in method, and a dreadful promo video that looks Iike a fish edited it.

And someone not quite all there shilling it.

Have you got any reviews from anyone respected who disagrees with us?

Didn't think so...
User avatar
mrgoat
 
Posts: 4201
Joined: 01/17/08 01:00 PM
Location: Brighton, UK

Postby Nimrud » 06/19/12 06:29 PM

Dear mrgoat!

Sorry,
but I feel like I have jumped between sharks,
who see only the meat, and not the man.:)

Best, Nimrud
Nimrud
 
Posts: 87
Joined: 01/09/10 03:01 PM

Postby mrgoat » 06/19/12 06:32 PM

Nimrud wrote:Dear mrgoat!

Sorry,
but I feel like I have jumped between sharks,
who see only the meat, and not the man.:)

Best, Nimrud


No need to apologize. You are just a guy being paid to shill a bad product.

However we do see the man, and the bad illusion, the shadow, the fact it won't work on a stage because it's black, the fact it is illogical and confusing, the fact it makes no sense, the fact there is no drama and little thought and the really cheesy editing.

Submit it for review and see what others think...

How much are you getting, anyway?
User avatar
mrgoat
 
Posts: 4201
Joined: 01/17/08 01:00 PM
Location: Brighton, UK

Postby Nimrud » 06/19/12 07:09 PM

Dear mrgoat!

I did not say to anyone to buy the illusion.
Those who like will buy the Sumer illusion.
I recommended it with respect and honestly
as a new and perfect illusion.
I am sorry that you can see only the "shadow".
These kind of illusions should be appreciated and not attacked.

Best, Nimrud
Nimrud
 
Posts: 87
Joined: 01/09/10 03:01 PM

Postby Brad Henderson » 06/19/12 07:16 PM

Nimrud wrote:Dear mrgoat!


These kind of illusions should be appreciated and not attacked.

Best, Nimrud




Then the world would be flooded with tasteless magicians performing dull, non deceptive, overly complicated, illusions that can't be descerned from the background against which they are presented.

Wait -

Allow me to revise - then the world would be flooded with EVEN MORE tasteless magicians performing dull, non deceptive, overly complicated, illusions that can't be descerned from the background against which they are presented.

Of course these types of illusions should be attacked

It's magic's only hope.
Brad Henderson
 
Posts: 2548
Joined: 01/17/08 01:00 PM
Location: austin, tx

Postby Nimrud » 06/19/12 07:32 PM

Dear Brad!

Jesus said : The truth will set you free.
I say : The professionalism will set you free.

Best, Nimrud
Nimrud
 
Posts: 87
Joined: 01/09/10 03:01 PM

Postby Brad Henderson » 06/19/12 07:49 PM

A professional does not allow the silly notion of 'brotherhood' to prevent him from speaking out when he sees behaviors which do not advance the art.

That is the truth.

I'm free

Sadly you are imprisoned by your inability to discern mystery from puzzles, visible from not visible, and method from effect.

Watching the video reminded me of a biblical passage as well: "Jesus wept."
Brad Henderson
 
Posts: 2548
Joined: 01/17/08 01:00 PM
Location: austin, tx

Postby mrgoat » 06/20/12 06:09 AM

Nimrud wrote:Dear mrgoat!

I did not say to anyone to buy the illusion.




Uh huh...

Nimrud wrote:Those who like will buy the Sumer illusion.


So, no one apart from you then...

Nimrud wrote:I recommended it with respect and honestly
as a new and perfect illusion.


Well, I, with respect and honesty, am offering my opinion that it is dreadful, obvious, contrived, complicated and bad.

Nimrud wrote:I am sorry that you can see only the "shadow".


I am sorry you think it is good. You must have had a sheltered life and not seen many illusions to form an opinion like that.

Nimrud wrote:These kind of illusions should be appreciated and not attacked.


I think those kinds of illusions should be sawn up and used for firewood.
User avatar
mrgoat
 
Posts: 4201
Joined: 01/17/08 01:00 PM
Location: Brighton, UK

Postby Nimrud » 06/20/12 04:46 PM

To Everyone!

An interesting fact about the Sumer illusion.
The Sumer illusion is the only illusion in the World
/in the "illusions with one assistant" category/
which has 4 different phases.
Compression, Cutting, Break, Lifting.

Best, Nimrud
Nimrud
 
Posts: 87
Joined: 01/09/10 03:01 PM

Postby Jonathan Townsend » 06/20/12 05:05 PM

We have something like a J. D. Powers(r) (tm) (sm) category rating in magic?
Mundus vult decipi
Jonathan Townsend
 
Posts: 6792
Joined: 01/17/08 01:00 PM
Location: Westchester, NY

Postby mrgoat » 06/20/12 06:45 PM

Nimrud wrote:To Everyone!

An interesting fact about the Sumer illusion.
The Sumer illusion is the only illusion in the World
/in the "illusions with one assistant" category/
which has 4 different phases.
Compression, Cutting, Break, Lifting.

Best, Nimrud


It is also the only one you won't be able to see properly on a stage, the only one with an obvious shadow, the only one that is really confusing and the only one that is really obvious.
User avatar
mrgoat
 
Posts: 4201
Joined: 01/17/08 01:00 PM
Location: Brighton, UK

Postby Nimrud » 06/21/12 06:23 AM

Dear my friends!

This is a cool community.
I feel good here.
Thank you.

Best, Nimrud
Nimrud
 
Posts: 87
Joined: 01/09/10 03:01 PM

Postby El Mystico » 06/21/12 10:21 AM

mrgoat wrote:
Nimrud wrote:To Everyone!

An interesting fact about the Sumer illusion.
The Sumer illusion is the only illusion in the World
/in the "illusions with one assistant" category/
which has 4 different phases.
Compression, Cutting, Break, Lifting.

Best, Nimrud


It is also the only one you won't be able to see properly on a stage, the only one with an obvious shadow, the only one that is really confusing and the only one that is really obvious.


It may also be the only one which the Chinese aren't bothering to make a cheap copy of.
El Mystico
 
Posts: 891
Joined: 01/17/08 01:00 PM
Location: Leamington Spa

Postby Nimrud » 06/22/12 11:15 AM

To Everyone!

Based on feedback:
many people like the Sumer illusion.
Who knows why, but 3 people don't like it.
This is not a bad ratio.

Best, Nimrud
Nimrud
 
Posts: 87
Joined: 01/09/10 03:01 PM

Postby Brad Henderson » 06/22/12 11:40 AM

Who likes it? People on the magic cafe? That's like asking a group of virgins how to run a whore house.

The trick is flawed. A compression is a fine effect. Why then slice her? What does it do to enhance the compression effect? Answer: nothing at all. All it does is narrow down the places she could be.

Many magicians cannot differentiate a good trick from a bad trick. Even fewer magicians understand anything about theater or consistency in action.

So, nimrud, why are you here? Why are you telling us others like the trick if not to try to convince someone to buy it?
Brad Henderson
 
Posts: 2548
Joined: 01/17/08 01:00 PM
Location: austin, tx

Postby Nimrud » 06/22/12 12:11 PM

Dear Brad!

As I see, slowly but
You start to like the Sumer illusion.
And this is good, very good.
Thank You.

Best, Nimrud

Note :
Nimrud in the correct written - Nimrud, not nimrud!
Nimrud
 
Posts: 87
Joined: 01/09/10 03:01 PM

Postby mrgoat » 06/22/12 12:24 PM

Nimrud wrote:Dear Brad!

As I see, slowly but
You start to realise
I am totally [censored] crazy
And this is good, very good.
Thank You.

Best, Numnuts

Note :
Hatstand in the correct written - Toaster, not wallpaper!


Fixed a couple of typos for you, brother.
User avatar
mrgoat
 
Posts: 4201
Joined: 01/17/08 01:00 PM
Location: Brighton, UK

Postby Jonathan Townsend » 06/22/12 12:28 PM

IMHO the illustration on the roller-blind suggests an arm reaching into the side of the box. That and the base design so similar to the sides pretty much leads to imagining the woman stepping sideways into the box and then sliding down into the base with her head and torso in n the upright section that does not move. Again, IMHO it seems to do exactly the opposite of what the Harbin zigzag design accomplished. :(
Jonathan Townsend
 
Posts: 6792
Joined: 01/17/08 01:00 PM
Location: Westchester, NY

Postby Nimrud » 06/22/12 01:48 PM

Dear Jonathan!

Sorry, I was wrong, 4 people don't like the Sumer illusion.

Gentlemen, you are not ethical in the world of Magic.
Read your posts and you will realize why.

Jonathan,
Is the incorrect answer to your post will be that I will tell the explanation of other illusions?

I don't think so.

Best, Nimrud
Nimrud
 
Posts: 87
Joined: 01/09/10 03:01 PM

Postby mrgoat » 06/22/12 01:59 PM

Nimrud wrote:Dear Jonathan!

Sorry, I was wrong, 4 people don't like the Sumer illusion.


Show me one, just one, aside from you that thinks it is good.
User avatar
mrgoat
 
Posts: 4201
Joined: 01/17/08 01:00 PM
Location: Brighton, UK

Postby Nimrud » 06/22/12 02:47 PM

Dear mrgoat!

Not one, everyone think it is good,
maybe Mr. Jim Steinmeyer would like the Sumer illusion too.

Best, Nimrud
Nimrud
 
Posts: 87
Joined: 01/09/10 03:01 PM

Postby Brad Henderson » 06/22/12 03:22 PM

Nimrud, I apologize for spelling your name incorrectly. It was accidental.

Who likes the illusion? Do you have any names?

Jt said nothing a smart layman wouldn't think. The illusion is flawed if a method presents itself.
Brad Henderson
 
Posts: 2548
Joined: 01/17/08 01:00 PM
Location: austin, tx

Postby Richard Kaufman » 06/22/12 03:23 PM

Nimrud, don't speak for Jim Steinmeyer! You have no idea what he would think of this illusion so don't put words into his mouth.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine
User avatar
Richard Kaufman
 
Posts: 21092
Joined: 07/18/01 12:00 PM
Location: Washington DC

Postby Nimrud » 06/22/12 03:48 PM

Dear Richard!

Sorry, but I said MAYBE.

Dear Brad!

Everyone like who don't says that he don't like.

Best, Nimrud
Nimrud
 
Posts: 87
Joined: 01/09/10 03:01 PM

Postby Richard Kaufman » 06/22/12 04:14 PM

It doesn't matter if you say "maybe" or not.

"Maybe" President Obama would like it.

See how dumb that is?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine
User avatar
Richard Kaufman
 
Posts: 21092
Joined: 07/18/01 12:00 PM
Location: Washington DC

Postby Brad Henderson » 06/22/12 04:31 PM

You're kidding right? According to that logic Mary Louis Parker likes my love making skills, I know this because she's never said she didn't like it!

David Copperfield likes my magic show because he never said he didn't like it.

Heck, you like my review of your friends trick because, and I just checked, you never said 'I didn't like it.'
Brad Henderson
 
Posts: 2548
Joined: 01/17/08 01:00 PM
Location: austin, tx

Postby Nimrud » 06/22/12 04:32 PM

Dear Richard and the Others!

The sad thing in the Sumer Reloaded topic
that MAYBE you like the Sumer illusion too,
but you cannot say.
And the saddest in this story that you know this too,
I know this too and Everybody know who read this topic.

Sorry, but that is the TRUTH.

Best, Nimrud
Nimrud
 
Posts: 87
Joined: 01/09/10 03:01 PM

Postby Brad Henderson » 06/22/12 04:47 PM

If you believe that the members here on the genii forum do not regularly and vehemently disagree with each other - and voice it loudly - then you know nothing about this forum.
Brad Henderson
 
Posts: 2548
Joined: 01/17/08 01:00 PM
Location: austin, tx

Postby El Mystico » 06/22/12 05:17 PM

Nimrud:
Richard, whose forum this is, has made it clear on several occasions that he is not averse to uss discussing how a trick might be done.
So, don't feel we are picking on you; if you have a problem with the ethics, you shouldn't have invited comment here in the first place (and you invited comment by posting on a forum). So you are forced to try to use 'clouding' posts; which are as transparent as your illusion.
The problem you have is that the method is so obvious, everyone immediately jumped to the right method.
MAYBE you shouldn't have posted here.
MAYBE you shouldn't have released this illusion until you understood something about the art of illusion.
El Mystico
 
Posts: 891
Joined: 01/17/08 01:00 PM
Location: Leamington Spa

Next

Return to Platform & Stage Magic