Spirtualism

Discuss the historical aspects of magic, including memories, or favorite stories.

Postby Bill Mullins » 01/04/12 12:53 PM

Interesting blog about researching 19th Spiritualism (from which modern mentalism grew). Includes a nice post about the Fays.
Bill Mullins

Postby Ian Kendall » 01/04/12 01:05 PM

On a related note - in a couple of weeks at the Lyceum Theatre in Edinburgh there is the premire of the show 'The Infamous Brothers Davenport and their Spectacular Stage Seance'.

I popped into the theatre this morning to get the flyer, and apparently they are going to recreate the Davenport's show :) First night tickets are only 5 quid, which is why most of the Nine of Diamonds are going then (we have a national stereotype to live up to, you know...)

The show runs until 11th Feb, then it goes on tour. If I can remember I'll post something about it after the 19th.

More information, and a trailer, at http://www.lyceum.org.uk/webpages/show_info.php?id=1104
Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » 01/19/12 08:04 PM

I just got home from seeing the show. If you are in Scotland, you need to get along to the Lyceum (or the Glasgow or Inverness touring theatres) to see it - it's great.

The play revolves around the cabinet seance, which has been recreated very nicely. The interesting bit is that all the scene changes happen within the cabinet; at one point they are in a theatre and the cabinet is what it is, then the walls fold down and it's the brothers' childhood home, or a bar, or a graveyard. All the props come in and out of the box without being seen (and I have a very good seat), and it looks wonderful.

Magic-wise there are several effects, all done well by the actors. There's (of course) the standard Spirit Cabinet stuff (more Frankenstein and Willard than actual Davenport, but the real people don't know that), an improvised shadow cabinet with a bunkbed and a sheet, a floating tambourine and a very nice floating table (in a Berglas style, with five audience members).

I really enjoyed the show, as well as getting out of the house for the evening.
Ian Kendall

Return to Magic History and Anecdotes