The Learned Pig Project

Discuss your favorite close-up tricks and methods.
Bill Duncan

The Learned Pig Project

Postby Bill Duncan » February 9th, 2002, 4:29 pm

Recently on one of the message boards here I read of the Learned Pig Project.

I visited the site, took a simple test, and posted my responses. The next day I received an email saying "Welcome to the Learned Pig Project" which appeared to come from jgonzalez@ihpanama.com. It listed a number of email addresses of which mine was one. When I clicked 'Reply' I noticed that the 'reply to' address was magomarko@yahoo.com. I sent an email to that address asking if there was any information on how to access the project since there was none in the message... only the email addresses of a few dozen people including myself.

Four days later and still no reponse. More annoying is the fact that since then my private email address has received unsolicited commercial email (SPAM) from someplace called Remote Control Magic Company.

Either the Learned Pig is selling email addresses or one of the other email addresses in the email I received used that email to gather names for a mass mailing.

So my reason posting is two fold.
1. I would recommend against signing up for TLPP unless you use a webmail address you don't mind having spammed.
2. Is there anyone who knows what's up with TLPP who can explain how to access it's information?

Re: The Learned Pig Project

Postby Guest » February 9th, 2002, 4:46 pm

I've had no trouble with the site and am not aware of having received spam as a result of registering with it (which is not the same as vouching that this has never happened).

Generally, the emails regarding TLPP that I've received from the jgonzalez address have contained hyperlinks that have taken me to the web site with no problem. In accessing the site directly (http://www.thelearnedpig.com.pa/), you use "member login" with the username and password you've set up. The webmaster address listed on the site is the magomarko@yahoo.com. If you've sent email to him, I suggest you sit tight and see what response you get. As far as I can see, TLPP is a legitimate site with a ton of material of historical and (if you don't own the old classics and don't mind using ebooks) practical value.
--Ralph

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » February 9th, 2002, 6:52 pm

Ralph,
Thanks for trying to help...
At least I now have a URL for the login. However, I don't recall setting any password so the only login info I know is my email address.

Thank goodness the Genii bbs isn't so hard to use.

Postby Guest » February 10th, 2002, 4:22 am

Sounds like something went kablooie on the TLPP side in signing you up. I agree about Genii Forum; I wish every online forum used this software.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » February 10th, 2002, 9:14 am

Marko may be having trouble on his site, but I'll vouch for the Learned Pig project. Marko is an upstanding, reliable person to deal with.

Matt Field

Postby Guest » February 10th, 2002, 9:51 am

Bill,

The same thing happened to me a couple of days ago. I filled out the questionaire and I got an e-mail which listed several e-mail addresses.

I figured it was probably a glitch.

I have heard good stuff about it and I am looking forward to getting the info. back to get on the site.

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » February 10th, 2002, 10:42 am

Well, if it's standard to send out emails listing everyone's email address I'm sorry I joined because that's just bad policy. Too many spammers in the world for that...

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
:confused:

Postby Guest » February 10th, 2002, 5:56 pm

I don't think it was standard, just part of the glitch. My emails from the site have not shown multiple recipients.

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » February 10th, 2002, 6:20 pm

Ralph,
My email didn't have multiple recipients, the body of the message was a list of email addresses and nothing else.

Either an automated process script broke, (possible, I know, I write them...) or something much more serious happened.

Return to “Close-Up Magic”